Sous Vide Chuck?

UPDATE…I SV a chuck for 24 hours and seared and I wasn’t thrilled. This maybe weird, but o took the leftovers and put it back in sv for another 24 hours @140 and I think that is what it needed. All parts of the meat were tender, not juicy, but not dry. The best part was, the fat was rendered just like a slow-cooker. I think I’m happy with those results. Can’t wait to do another chuck for a straight 48 hours, no salt, with rosemary sprigs. I still think salt will give it a hammy texture, which I don’t like.

So, I sv a Chuck for 24 hours at 130, then seared over coals and it looked great. The meat could have been a bit more tender, however the connective tissue between the meat and fat was still tuff and the fat was not enjoyable and that’s usually my favorite part. If I go to 36 hours, will it help?
I would think you need to hit >=195 or so throughout for chuck to be tender.

UPDATE…I SV a chuck for 24 hours and seared and I wasn’t thrilled. This maybe weird, but o took the leftovers and put it back in sv for another 24 hours @140 and I think that is what it needed. All parts of the meat were tender, not juicy, but not dry. The best part was, the fat was rendered just like a slow-cooker. I think I’m happy with those results. Can’t wait to do another chuck for a straight 48 hours, no salt, with rosemary sprigs. I still think salt will give it a hammy texture, which I don’t like.

Keep in mind your first 24 hours was 130, going 48 hours at 140 is going to be a lot different. Again, try 135F for 36 hours. Or if you're so set on 140F try 36 hours first.

Keep in mind your first 24 hours was 130, going 48 hours at 140 is going to be a lot different. Again, try 135F for 36 hours. Or if you're so set on 140F try 36 hours first.

You’re right. I’m just being impatient. I should first try 135 for 36 hours, then if that doesn’t work, go 48 hours. I was just so pleased with the way the fat and tissues between the segments broke down, I jumped the gun.

You’re right. I’m just being impatient. I should first try 135 for 36 hours, then if that doesn’t work, go 48 hours. I was just so pleased with the way the fat and tissues between the segments broke down, I jumped the gun.

I'm telling you - 130° for 72 hours is perfect.

I would think you need to hit >=195 or so throughout for chuck to be tender.

Not in a sous vide. It will be a brick.
In fact, most sous vides don't go to 195°

Back