My experience with beef belly

Fsonicsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It was 70 degrees here in Central Ohio so I had the wise idea to leave the office early, fire up the smoker, and cook a..... beef belly. A certain webtailer featured this cut. I bought two among many other items.
Yellow mustard slather and a tried and true homemade rub. Five hours at 275 on the trusty Shirley 94 (48 x 24 direct flow). Mix of apple and hickory.
It looked beautiful when I pulled it.
I let it rest under a heat lamp for an hour.
When I went to slice it all hell broke loose. My heat lamps are mounted under a Thermador range hood above shoulder height. Though I carefully lowered the grooved cutting board what seemed like a half-gallon of hot beef fat went streaming and later oozing everywhere including all over our Thermador range much to my wife's dismay.
I have NEVER seen a higher fat to lean ratio. Before and after cooking it was perhaps an inch and quarter thick. When I went to slice the top 70% was all fat. The lean underneath had a nice smoke ring and good flavor, very reminiscent of Asian style roast pork, only beef.
I will never buy or try this cut of beef again. The work/spent fuel/finished product ratio is off-the-charts low.
What little useable meat I have will go into a rice stir-fry tomorrow.
Hope this of help to someone.
Was it all bad? Nope. I love to burn wood and relax and at least I did that.

Back