Visitors to the royal

K

Kung Fu BBQ

I volunteered to be on the marketing commitee for the American Royal this year (thought it'd good on a resume). their big goal is to bump up the numbers of spectators on saturday.
I just thought I'd ask you guys what you think would lure in the masses.
I've read plenty of threads about the miscommunication between spectators and teams what people expect when they arrive about freebies and other things.

So: What do you think would lure more folks to a compitition on judgement day?

To me as a cook I dont want too many spectator on a turn in day because they can get in the way. For me to go as a spectator I go see people I know add to see what people are cooking on and with. As and average person probably has little interest in the pit unless it is massive or has some kitch to it. So it a tough call on how to get more people on sat. The best way is to have concerts and possibly a people choice,

SP said:
To me as a cook I dont want too many spectator on a turn in day because they can get in the way. For me to go as a spectator I go see people I know add to see what people are cooking on and with.

I went one time about 7 years before going back with a team and cooking. I found NO reason to go as a "spectator" unless you have friends cooking.

If I wanted to look at stuff sat is great because ther are few spectators.

One time in Seattle they had Rick Browne and local celebrity chefs give cooking demonstrations. I think the local press was a sponsor so there was a pretty good turnout, but only one vendor working and lines were endless. Everybody was under the impression there would be samples, and all the teams were wore out explaining why they could not. How about contacting the local news or press and do a spotlight on the workings of a competition, meats, turnins and awards etc. I know my first time was disapointing from a spectator POV.

I was discussing this with some folks Wednesday night. Cookoffs themselves are not spectator friendly...a format like BBQ Challenge puts them in the stands and allows some chit-chat, etc. but a normal cookoff pace and setup sucks for the general public. The time they'd be most interested in looking and talking is turn-in and that's when we have the least time to be distracted...

I agree with celebrity demos, good concerts, etc. Competitors just don't have the time or energy to be "good hosts" to a mass of folks looking for a "taste of real bbq"!

What the Marketing commitee is looking for is a way to get the public to the ARBBQ on Saturday night. Most of the teams are gone by then so it is not an issue of the public "bothering" the teams or the teams having to "host" the public. Last year they had several "teen" bands and fireworks and I think the turn-out was much less than they had hoped for.

As Timmay said - any ideas would be apprciated.

I know you said at night Wayne, but they could pick a few of the top teams and set up bleachers if folks want to see what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
MoKanMeathead said:
What the Marketing commitee is looking for is a way to get the public to the ARBBQ on Saturday night. Most of the teams are gone by then so it is not an issue of the public "bothering" the teams or the teams having to "host" the public. Last year they had several "teen" bands and fireworks and I think the turn-out was much less than they had hoped for.

As Timmay said - any ideas would be apprciated.

I think rock and roll or country bands would have a better draw than "teen" bands.

Maybe Singin Bob could stay and entertain the masses!:lol:

Kung Fu BBQ said:
I just thought I'd ask you guys what you think would lure in the masses.

Somehow give them a chance to eat the Competitors BBQ. Either allow the competitors to vend, or have a Peoples Choice contest.

Rub said:
3 words: Wet Tshirt Contest. 8)

Amen. Let's make that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. On second thought, that's probably already happened on the dark side.

Fredbird said:
I think rock and roll or country bands would have a better draw than "teen" bands.

Maybe Singin Bob could stay and entertain the masses!:lol:

not without his backup singers!!

To me, samples is the key...it is a BBQ thing after all. Need to figure out a way to do it so the public knows what to do, the competetors don't get bothered, and the venders can still make money.

DeanC said:
Amen. Let's make that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. On second thought, that's probably already happened on the dark side.

You mean the bbq ghetto... thats where my team is and we like it over there. Trust me we belong on that side for antics only.

Back