Does this sound right?

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just saw this on a caterer's web site:

FRESH PULLED-PORK SHOULDER
Whole pork shoulder that’s been smoked for over 6 hours.
It gets better: Then, the meat is hand-shredded into succulent,
melt-in-your-mouth ribbons. It’s dressed with our own sweet vinegar sauce and served on a traditional Southern white roll.

Now, I've never cooked a whole shoulder, but generally my picnics or butts get cooked alot longer than 6 hours. I've heard of fast cooking, but is that even possible?

No, it sounds like it is rushed via an oven or extreme high heat in a pit.:shock:

If it's a 3lb butt maybe. I go about 11 to 13 hour's

Yep, it's possible - at least for butts. Shoulders usually get lower and slower due to density and muscle mass.

If it's true, I sure wouldn't be bragging about it.

It's definitely possible if either the "whole pork shoulder" is 4 pounds or you're cooking at 400*. Otherwise you sure as heck aren't hand shredding it. Maybe they left the one off of 16 hours? That is much more realistic for a whole shoulder.

yeah, stickburners at 300-350 you can finish 7-8 lbers, bone in, in 6-8 hours.

Also, the commercial cookers like WillieBs Southern pride cook at 225 with convection and it really reduces the time. i think he does butts in 6 and briskets in 8-10.

Yes restaurants will cook them faster. So it is probably true. They did not mention the temp at which the cook would take place. So I would check that out.

I think I'm hung up on the 'whole shoulder' part of what they wrote. I can see cooking a butt or picnic hot and fast, but couldn't imagine getting such a big cut as a 'whole shoulder' done in that time. I guess on one of those fancy pants restaurant pits times are more fluid.....

BBQchef33 said:
yeah, stickburners at 300-350 you can finish 7-8 lbers, bone in, in 6-8 hours.

Also, the commercial cookers like WillieBs Southern pride cook at 225 with convection and it really reduces the time. i think he does butts in 6 and briskets in 8-10.

Maybe, but I still wouldn't use it as a key selling point on my catering menu. Maybe people other than us who've actually cook picnics, butt and/or shoulders think a 6 hour cook is impressive? 12-16 hours impresses me, otherwise leave it out.

FRESH PULLED-PORK SHOULDER
Whole pork shoulder that’s been slow smoked over hickory and cherry woods to achieve a perfect blend of taste and tenderness.

:oops: I missed the "whole shoulder" thing.

Still think a convection thingy may pull it off at a higher temp around 300.

your right though.. it aint no selling point.

They also don't mention holding time...cook hot and fast to about 205 and then hold it covered: foil, covered pan, cambro, etc.

The public is used to 30-minute meals, for crying out loud...6 hours seems an eternity to most folks.

you also got to remember that the public sometimes thinks that anything cooked for long periods of time is dry so maybe he or she thought that six sounded better that saying 12 hours.

my 2 cents

Remember, too, that in the catering and restaurant business - time IS money!

I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt and try his pork before slamming him.

chad said:
I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt and try his pork before slamming him.

Definitely. I deliberately didn't include their name or link because I'm not trying to slam anyone, or damage their reputation. If they say they can do it, more power to them. That's why I came and asked all you smart folks about it.....

backyardchef said:
Definitely. I deliberately didn't include their name or link because I'm not trying to slam anyone, or damage their reputation. If they say they can do it, more power to them. That's why I came and asked all you smart folks about it.....

:-D :-D

I've learned so much the last couple of years that unless somebody is talking about soaking chips and boiling ribs:shock: I'm willing to listen!!

well, technically, 12 hours IS over 6 hours, so they are somewhat correct. It kind of sounds like they invented pulled pork by their description.

Yup, you CAN smoke that peice of meat in 6 hours like I do sometimes at 375-400 degress.
And, I agree that to the general public (not us BBQ nuts) that 6 hours is a LONG time.
Fast Trackin' the meat is done all the time and mine comes out Perfecto Mungo!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!!

Maybe they've got some convection or other technology going on to shorten the cook time that much, but my experience says that sometimes 12 hours is even on the short side. Most of the good BBQ places I've eaten tend to emphasize the long smoking times.

That said, I'm always open to new ideas and food to sample.

kickassbbq said:
Yup, you CAN smoke that peice of meat in 6 hours like I do sometimes at 375-400 degress.
And, I agree that to the general public (not us BBQ nuts) that 6 hours is a LONG time.
Fast Trackin' the meat is done all the time and mine comes out Perfecto Mungo!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!!

Hey Ed-- have you ever come across a cut of meat that didn't respond well (or couldn't get done properly) via the hot and fast method? I've only just recently experimented with it and enjoyed the product, but haven't tried that much...Do you think a full packer can be cooked that way? I'd be afraid it wouldn't render enough.....

backyardchef said:
Hey Ed-- have you ever come across a cut of meat that didn't respond well (or couldn't get done properly) via the hot and fast method? I've only just recently experimented with it and enjoyed the product, but haven't tried that much...Do you think a full packer can be cooked that way? I'd be afraid it wouldn't render enough.....

Yep...four hour brisket plus some resting time.

Sorry, I'm not Ed!!

Back