Finally did it! Hot & Fast Pork Butt.

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
I took the hot & fast plunge yesterday and smoked three 9 pound pork butts in the UDS. Meat went on the UDS at 7am at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Then 300+ for 7 more hours. Total 8 hours until the meat reached 205 degrees. Rested wrapped in foil for 1 hour then pulled. Meat had plenty of juice left in it. I don't see any reason to go back to the old way of low & slow for pork butts.

Sorry no pics. Camera was not working.

Here is the link for the low & slow pork butts I cooked last weekend.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158745

Yeah, it does work great. There are small differences, but, it sure works well

I used salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder & paprica. Didn't use foil during the cook. Someone posted a recipe in the 22 hour post in the link in post #1.

Last edited:
certified106 -

I personally don't care much for foil. Black hard crust is only balck and hard till you rest the meat. The rendered bits re-hydrate it. I have smoked butts a plenty as they are cheap and provide 3 bbq meals for the family each. Plus I like a "crispy" crust going into the 170's on a 200 or a 205 cook the. It is like a natural foil as it will help hold the renderings in the meat then the renderings soften the crust. Plus it helps protect the meat from over smoking as a tough layer of carmelized sugar will not allow smoke to penetrate as well but it will also trap some smoke flavor it self until the surface carbonizes.

Food for thought.

Congrats Pappy! H&F is the way to go!

If you want to go even faster, cut boneless butts in half and tie them up in 3-4 lb pieces. Those babies will get to 200 in 3-4 hours. Let them rest a little while before pulling them, say an hour in foil in a cooler.

Back