Help with a Gas Grill Question

Gatordawg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I hate to admit I do use my gas grill some. Admittedly not as much as I used to, but our Kenmore that we have had forever has died. I mean not replaceable and I have talked the wife into a new one. The trouble is I am not 100% sure what to look at. Want to keep it below $500 so what are some great suggestions. What is anyone else using?

Thanks Brothers!!

Under 500 gives you lots of options. Sam's usually has some nice units in that price range. Lowes and Home Depot too, plus what ever box stores are unique to you negihborhood too.
I would not worry about brand name, everything is so mixed up anymore it really does not matter whose name is on the front.
For me, I would look for the big heavy CAST iron or Cast Stainless, or Brass burners. That will be the key to heat and long life, and those are the real priorities.

Lowes and Home Depot sell unites that are Badged as Brinkmann that are really made by the Aussie Company that Barbecue's Galore sells. Very good prices on decent units. Of course, I don't look for a lot of flash, just a decent burner, a good heavy duty cooking grate, and something I think will last a few years.

I've got a "Jenn-Air" 60K BTU grill which I purchased on sale at Lowe's last winter for $800. There are two smaller cousins which started at the time for around $600 on sale. The grill is made for Lowe's by a Chinese company which has licensed the brand, and there is no other affiliation with the appliance company. With that said, I have found the grill to work quite well, for direct and indirect grilling. It has enough power to do steaks in the Michigan winter, and has a separate rotisserie burner. On the downside, it has more venting than I would like, so it takes a while to get hot and does not peak out as high as I might sometimes like.

By the way, speaking of power for winter grilling, my former gas grill was a kind of wimpy 35K BTU Weber, which was dramatically improved by opening up the gas metering orifices by a few thousandths. The only downside I saw with the extra power was that I destroyed the Weber thermometer by "pegging" it the first time I fired up the improved grill.

I would strongly recommend that you try to hold out until after the holidays, as the big box stores run some great deals once the Xmas season is over and the summer season is still far away.

Although I do my "serious" work now on my Bandera, and in the future on the soon to arrive Klose, I do like the convenience of the gas grill for after work meals. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.

ok... here my quarters worth.

the broilmaster is a little bit more, but will last you 15-20-30 years. Mine broilmaster P3 is almost 20 years old, and i just replaced the burner for the first time last summer,or the one before. It has the thickest cast in the industry and its built to last a lifetime. The premium(mid level) series is excellent and has close 700sq inchs of space and dual 20k burners. i highly highly recommend it... their slogan is "buy your last grill today".. and its is very fitting. in 20 years, i would have bought 3-4 lower end grills and paid twice as much if not more.

the 20k burners will easily bring the unit up to 800 degrees withthe lid closed and control is accurate and sensetive enuf to bake bread. Grills have 3 height adjustments and are porcleain ofer cast iron. its really a thing of beauty.

If u have to go lower, then the Webers and low-end ducanes are good units. i have used the weber genesis series and they;re pretty good.

As my signature points out, I have a brinkman. This one has four burners, and a side burner for pots and whatnot.
I like this model because it has a lot of room. Also because I can turn on the two end burners, leave the middle two off, and rotisserie a bird without a whole lot of worry of churnobilizing it, and the grill.

I've had it four or five years now. Sits outside uncovered, and is holding up just fine.

i'll make ya a good deal on my Charmglow (then i'll get a new one). I'll even help ya load it up when y'all come here at Thanksgiving.

BTW, remember to bring me some Blues Hog then. And some more rub from Latham's. That was some good stuff.

BBQchef33 said:
ok... here my quarters worth.

the broilmaster is a little bit more, but will last you 15-20-30 years. My broilmaster P3 is almost 20 years old, and i just replaced the burner for the first time last summer,or the one before. It has the thickest cast in the industry and its built to last a lifetime. The premium(mid level) series is excellent and has close 700sq inchs of space and dual 20k burners. i highly highly recommend it... their slogan is "buy your last grill today".. and its is very fitting. in 20 years, i would have bought 3-4 lower end grills and paid twice as much if not more. the 20k burners will easily bring the unit up to 800 degrees withthe lid closed and control is accurate and sensetive enuf to bake bread. Grills have 3 height adjustments and are porcleain ofer cast iron. its really a thing of beauty.
----------------------------------

..... DITTO .... had D3 forever..... looks rough, works great, can't justify unloading it. Worth the time and effort to search for a used one in decent condition ,,,, even 'beat up' you can update from several internet sources for a couple hundred bucks and have one that performs like new.

I'm not ashamed to admit that we use our gas grill quite a bit. I've had my Weber Genesis Silver C for about 9 years now. I did replace the 'flavorizer' bars about a year ago. It's been a great grill for the money...

James.

I've got a Brinkman pro series 2500, same as Joe's. Heavy cast iron burners, porcelain over cast iron grates, cast brass side burner and stainless exterior. Does what I need it to do at under $400. Sounds like Frognot has a better deal for you though.

I bought a Coleman unit a few years ago (I think the 1000 series). I got it at Harrow's (a pool/outdoor store) on sale at the end of the summer for $600 was $1000. It is a monster with a ton of power. The exterior heat shielding stinks on it but it otherwise it works great. Easy to get parts from their website.

Went Cheaper

I went cheaper this time. Got a UniFlame at Wally World!! It is the same as some of the others that I been looking at, but a bit cheaper. Decided to save the bucks to pump up my smoker size for the next buy so I am going to be looking for a new smoker instead. So, thanks for the input guys, it did help, but decided to hit the smoker instead of the gas with the $$$!!

Bought a srainless steel coleman for $25 at a neighbors garage sale, best gas grill i have ever had

Now is the time to look, all the stores seem to be marking them down. Also several had units knobs missing, easily ordered from manufacturer for 1/2-1/3 the normal price. Good luck.

As my signature states, I have a Sam's Members Mark gasser. My next one will be a Holland or a Kingfisher. Both provide indirect heat, so you get no flair-ups. The Kingfisher takes it a step further, as it allows for couple lbs of chips/pellets to get loaded into a smoke box, and has a built in water box also.... pretty slick Here are pics of the 36" -- it can be had for just a little more than your limit (about $150)- but would last practically forever. http://www.kck.com/bbq_grill_gas_wood_smokers/gas_grill_wood_smokers.html

I believe you can get into a holland for about $500.

I have the Weber Genesis B and it appears to be indistructable. I recommend looking for one that has the cast iron grates (not the porcelin/cast grates). There is some maintinanace involved with keeping the cast iron seasoned, but they have better heat retention than the SS grates, which gives them better searing power and if seasoned properly are "non-stick."

Consumer's Report gave the Weber's high marks, and they also like the the Vermont Castings grills available from Home Depot.

I use my Sunbeam gasser religiously year round. But they are cheap ($180) and for $500 you can buy a mighty fine unit as other have pointed out.

I see some really nice Genesis models are selling at a reduced price right now to make room for the snow blowers up North here. Maybe not by you as much.

And I replaced the flavorizer bar with a set of those cast aluminum grates similar to what Chad has and they are awesome. Really evens out the temps in a POS gasser.

Back