Giant chuckie

Pugi

Full Fledged Farker
So I go into my butcher for a brisket, and he is out. Had to go with plan #2. I ask how about a chuckie. He states he has full chuckie in back. He goes and gets one throws on the scale and it says 37 lbs. I declined the whole thing and said just cut a chunk off for me. Well my chunk is 8 1/2 lbs. I usually do 3 to 4 pounders. Tough decisions to be made on the outcome of this beast. Suggestions?

Well, most would say to just cook it like it is. Then pull the beef and freeze what you don't want. However, personally, I would cut it down to a portion that I wanted to cook and vacusuck and freeze the remaining portion(s) to cook later. That advantage this gives you is a higher bark to meat ratio. Plus, if you want to change something up in the rub or cooking method, you haven't committed the whole cut and you now have multiple cooks to do.

^^wut he said. Left overs suck after 5 straight days of eating it. Cook only what you need for a day or two and freeze the rest. Biggest tip I got for freezing items, is once bagged (or vacuum sealed) place in the fridge to cool, then into the freezer. If you put straight into the freezer, large crystals of ice form and destroy the meat. If the meat is already cooled down to like 1 degree (33degrees for our Southern folk), then ice crystals are small and thus don't ruin the meat.

It's a beautiful piece of meat. I think ill strategically cut it for two portions and make sure to leave a nice piece for faux burnt ends.

Best tip is to cool the meat rapidly in the freezer then bag and vacum seal. The faster you go through the danger zone the better. A 1/2 sheet of product in the freezer is Completely Cool in 1/2 hour to 45 min. Then you wont have any of the moisture in there to turn into ice crystals.

So I go into my butcher for a brisket, and he is out. Had to go with plan #2. I ask how about a chuckie. He states he has full chuckie in back. He goes and gets one throws on the scale and it says 37 lbs. I declined the whole thing and said just cut a chunk off for me. Well my chunk is 8 1/2 lbs. I usually do 3 to 4 pounders. Tough decisions to be made on the outcome of this beast. Suggestions?

Cook it, take photos and enter it in the BBQ Brethren "Man Sized Meat" Throwdown!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Cook it, take photos and enter it in the BBQ Brethren "Man Sized Meat" Throwdown!

Silver, I'm pretty sure redhot said no whole roasts. Unfortunately I only have Sunday off this week and this is whats cooking. I do have another plan for the TD though. Probably a zero in the making, but my time is very limited right now.

Silver, I'm pretty sure redhot said no whole roasts. Unfortunately I only have Sunday off this week and this is whats cooking. I do have another plan for the TD though. Probably a zero in the making, but my time is very limited right now.

Ha! I would like to enter it as well. Would be my first one. We could make the zero club at the same time.

Back