Cooking on the raffle prize.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
On Friday, I went to the shipping company to pick up the small Spicewine that I won in the raffle. After getting it home and uncrated, it sat for two days before I was able to fire it up. I had problems getting the temps up to over 200, but I think that was due to not starting with enough lit coals and cold water in the pan. There was a small dripping from the rear water release valve at the joint, but I figure that just needs a little tightening to fix. What surprised me most was the amount of water that dripped from the lower part of the door. I'm thinking the door isn't sealing all the way and this is part of why I had problems getting the temps up.

I was able to get the internal temps of the meats up to 156 or so when they stopped going up for an hour. Since the temp of the smoker was between 175 and 190, I figured it would be best to finish in the oven.

All in all, it was a sucessful smoke. The meats were all tender and moist, there was a small smoke ring and the smoke flavor wasn't overpowering, and I have a load in the freezer that will keep me from having to buy groceries anytime soon. :-D I definately will need to look at making some adjustment to the door and the rear drain valve to make sure they are tightened.

Since we all know that it didn't happen unless there are pictures, I give you these: http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/NCGrimbo/20081019 Smoke/

i like the pic with it chained to the truck. i dont think that neighborhood is safe enough for that baby spicewine. better send it here so we can keep her safe for ya

Once your water is hot, move your coals off to the sides of the waterpan........that thing was at several locations around town before it shipped to you....it might be a good idea to callabrate the thermometer.

I've never cooked on a small, wish I could give you more help.......

If you have water accumulating on the inside, you have your upper vent choked down too tight. The steam has nowhere to go. Try adjusting your vents and I think you will find that your temps as well as your water problem will be solved.

Spice

If you have water accumulating on the inside, you have your upper vent choked down too tight. The steam has nowhere to go. Try adjusting your vents and I think you will find that your temps as well as your water problem will be solved.

Spice

sounds like I have the same problem on my UDS when I did 3 briskets..

i like the pic with it chained to the truck. i dont think that neighborhood is safe enough for that baby spicewine. better send it here so we can keep her safe for ya

Actually, my neighborhood is very safe, but I'm paranoid about leaving things in the driveway. There were several cases of people having things stolen from inside their sheds a few months back, so I figured chaining it down while it was cooling off overnight wouldn't be a bad thing. I rolled it into the garage the next morning.

Once your water is hot, move your coals off to the sides of the waterpan........that thing was at several locations around town before it shipped to you....it might be a good idea to callabrate the thermometer.

I've never cooked on a small, wish I could give you more help.......

I'll try moving the coals on the next cook. And I will definately calibrate that thermometer before then.

Spice

OK. That makes sense. I think I was turning the upper vent handle the wrong way when I started. I finally got a mirror out and watched to see if it was opening or closing as I turned the crank. Then I wrote on the cranks with permanent ink to show which way is open and which way is closed.

I think I figured out your problem. You had the SW on its side. :biggrin:

IMG_0061.jpg

Enjoy the prize they sure are great looking smokers those Spicewines

Need some help?

Sounds like a lot of problems not easily solved. I think I should borrow it for a few weeks and work the kinks out for you :roll:

I had problems getting the temps up to over 200, but I think that was due to not starting with enough lit coals and cold water in the pan. There was a small dripping from the rear water release valve at the joint, but I figure that just needs a little tightening to fix. What surprised me most was the amount of water that dripped from the lower part of the door. I'm thinking the door isn't sealing all the way and this is part of why I had problems getting the temps up.

I was able to get the internal temps of the meats up to 156 or so when they stopped going up for an hour. Since the temp of the smoker was between 175 and 190, I figured it would be best to finish in the oven.

Back