UDS: Ball Joint Size

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
You guys were a great help with my leaky ash door and the need for a ball valve.

My question:
What size valve and fitting do I need?

Sounds like you are planning on one ball valve and no capped nipples? If so, and if you plan on doing any hot and fast smoking, you might want to consider one as large as 2".

I use a Big Green Egg slide inlet which has even more potential opening than a 2" valve.

I have three 3/4" intakes on mine... those each require a 1" diameter hole for the 3/4" nipples. I have one on the rear of the drum that is simply capped when not in use and two with riser elbows, riser pipes, and ball valves, each being 3/4" in size.

I have two 3/4 nips with pvc caps and a 3/4 inch ball valve,the pvs caps are easier to take off and won't rust on my nips.:redface:

I have 4 of the 3/4" intakes. 2 capped and 2 valves. If I re-use the charcoal I get less heat compaired to fresh charcoal. Used coal 250 - 275 with both valves wide open.

I have three 3/4" intakes on mine... those each require a 1" diameter hole for the 3/4" nipples. I have one on the rear of the drum that is simply capped when not in use and two with riser elbows, riser pipes, and ball valves, each being 3/4" in size.

Is there a benefit of having the elbow and riser over just sticking out near the lower side?

Is there a benefit of having the elbow and riser over just sticking out near the lower side?

As mentioned, there is no particular benefit beyond not having to bend over to the ground level to make adjustments. I sorta like the way the riser pipes look on the drum with the ball valves attached. So if 'looks' are a benefit, then sign me up for that one :)

Back