Ball Valve For Kettle/Summit?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I hate the leaky bottom air control of the Weber Summit/Kettle, so I’m wondering if anyone have done away with it and replaced it with a more controllable ball valve or something. Am I nuts for thinking this?

How is it causing a problem?

Have you checked to see how the ash sweep blades are positioned? I had one get bent slightly up in my kettle and it was impossible to control temp.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

How is it causing a problem?

Have you checked to see how the ash sweep blades are positioned? I had one get bent slightly up in my kettle and it was impossible to control temp.

There are three blades. Each blade contacts the bowl in the middle, but on the ends, the blades are lifted, which means plenty of air is allowed to pass.

I'll take a look at mine when I get back to the house but I think mine make contact at the ends. If so, they will probably send you new ones. They are easy to replace.

Before the blades on my Kettle went totally south I used a cast iron smoker box on top of them to keep all edges touching. Perhaps a couple of firebricks would accomplish the same thing - just a thought.

Mine are fairly tight. I can see a little lifting on a few but I don't have any trouble controlling temps or shutting down.
8d4ab3de8717bffca2592cc45b0ff402.jpg
59babba64a1905dc825148bb071b03e8.jpg

Back