Beef Rouladen - "I've Never Cooked That!"

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Having been charged with coming up with something “I’ve Never Cooked That!” before (see Throwdown in progress) I did a little thinking. (And Googling) I had some of the Rotkohl (German Red Cabbage) leftover from my Sausage Platter cook (Link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209612) so I decided to try and incorporate that into my cook. Well another German dish that is traditionally served with Rotkohl is Beef Rouladen. Having “Never Cooked That”, let alone eaten one I decided to try it. I started out by having my butcher cut me 8 thinly sliced (1/4”) Top Round steaks.

Here are most of the rest of the ingredients:

I cooked up some thick cut Hickory Smoked bacon and reserved both the bacon and the grease.

I spread out the steaks on some plastic wrap

and then covered them with more plastic wrap and lightly pounded them out.

I then lightly sprinkled with some Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Now I spread on some Horseradish Mustard

Then placed on some red onion, carrot, some pickle slices and some bacon.

And rolled them up and used a toothpick to hold them together.

After I rolled up the second batch, I took them all outside and heated up the bacon grease to very hot!

I then browned them on all sides in the bacon grease.

Look at that wonderful steam coming off the Rouladen as they sear. The smell was fantastic!

Here’s the pan after the browning process.

I wanted all that flavor incorporated into my sauce so I threw in some carrots, celery and onion and let them start to sweat.

I then poured in 1/2 cup of red wine to deglaze the pan.

Now I added 2 cups of beef broth and all the Rouladen back into the pan on top of the carrot, celery and onions and covered.

I then placed the pan into my pre-heated (to 325) kamado for 90 minutes. I first placed it on the direct side to get it to boil.

After I could hear it boiling and moved it over to the in-direct side so it could finish out the time at a simmer.

While they were cooking I made up some Garlic, Sour Cream Mash Potatoes. When the Rouladen was finished I removed them to my gas burner.

Now something weird happened. The power went out in my neighborhood and I had to break out my emergency lanterns. (I’m thinking, Great, how am I going to get any good photos of this without any lightly?)

With the flash they were O.K.

I removed the Rouladen and took them and the sauce into the house.

Fortunately the lights came back on at this time. I poured the sauce into a strainer and into a sauce pan to remove the veggies.

I then stirred in a little flour and corn starch to thicken it.

Here is everything plated with another Spaten waiting to be poured into my favorite stein.

And here is what I think is the money shot below. What do you think?

Das Wunderbar! :becky:

That really looks delicious! I've never had it, but I sure as heck would give that a try!

KC

All these fancy things I never heard of either & I've already done them.....sort of......

Flank, sliced to 1/3 thickness (or more recently round like you used), marinated, rolled w/ various stuff & smoked......

KenBBQ32711015.jpg

KenBBQ4311023.jpg

Sliced between tookpicks for automatic appetizers.....

KenBBQ32711024.jpg

Still gotta figure out how to get bacon grease into the deal !!!

Fabulous Cookup & way more involved than the stuff Ive done.......very Oktoberfest-like......didn't have to go thru any power outages here either....way to soldier on !!!!!!

That really looks delicious! I've never had it, but I sure as heck would give that a try!

KC
Thank you KC. As I said above, I'd never eaten one let alone cooked one. I was suprised as how delicious it was. They weren't easy to make but not really hard either.

All these fancy things I never heard of either & I've already done them.....sort of......

Flank, sliced to 1/3 thickness (or more recently round like you used), marinated, rolled w/ various stuff & smoked......

KenBBQ32711015.jpg

KenBBQ4311023.jpg

Sliced between tookpicks for automatic appetizers.....

KenBBQ32711024.jpg

Still gotta figure out how to get bacon grease into the deal !!!

Fabulous Cookup & way more involved than the stuff Ive done.......very Oktoberfest-like......didn't have to go thru any power outages here either....way to soldier on !!!!!!
Thank you buckie. From what I've read "Rouladen" is a technique. It means something like "rolled mean" so technically you were making rouladen but just didn't know it.

That looks delish.
I have plans to do a rolled beef cook but very different.
That picture of the sauce in the mash is a banger

Back