I have Joined the Cult

B

bbqpigskin

Well, I just finished attaching the temp guage to my drum smoker, and am looking forward to firing it up tomorrow. I finished painting it this morning at about 6am. I picked up a package baby backs from costco during the week to break it in with. I posted pics below. I'll post a follow up manana. Thanks again to Smokin Gator for all of the help!

Pic1-fire grate and ring
Pic2-with one grill
Pic3- with 2 grills
Pic4-The whole enchilada!

Take it Easy,

Attachments

• BDS 001.jpg
    BDS 001.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 165
  • BDS 002.jpg
    BDS 002.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 166
  • BDS 006.jpg
    BDS 006.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 167
  • BDS 005.jpg
    BDS 005.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be joining the cult soon. Very soon I hope.

Is there a hatch door to clean out the ashes?

No hatch. I welded a long handle to a med. sized metal dust pan to scoop the ashes out.

Impressive. How did you do your grill supports and your air intakes?

B

Welcome to the club.
Did a 8 1/2lb butt, rack o ribs, an a couple pig shins today..
ModelMaker

Grill supports are 1.5 inch carridge bolts with nuts, and the air intake system consists of 4 3 in x 1/2 in pipe nipples. 3 with caps and one with a brass ball valve. The top grill is not very steady. It is resting on the lip inside the top ring of the drum. I still need to figure out how to keep it secure. Hey, I can't take credit for anything original here...Smokin Gator is the master. I stole from him!

bbqpigskin said:
Hey, I can't take credit for anything original here...Smokin Gator is the master. I stole from him!

Yep, I've got his notes laying on the table if front of me. Only need a little time.

bbqpigskin said:
No hatch. I welded a long handle to a med. sized metal dust pan to scoop the ashes out.

I just turn mine upside down.

That baby looks great, Mike! i hope it cooks as great as it looks!

I have no mechanical skills at all, so I'll just have to live vicariously through you cult members :-D

Just curious...with no hatch door...how do you add wood or charcoal without having to take all the grates out etc.?? Maybe i'm missing something here. Wouldnt be the first time! :)

see post 151. Added little more cooked ribs 5 hours and ABT's after. No BS.

The trick is, you don't. Once these things are loaded and running, you just leave them alone. I have yet to out cook the coals I put in. More often than not, there are lots of coals leftover even after cooking a brisket. Plus things cook faster in a drum.

bbqpigskin,

Is that one of those Weber hinged grates?? What size is it? I have the 23" grates in my drum and that would be sweet for turning stuff below or for tossing in some wood. I'm sure it would spin nicely on the bolts.

I have 7" from the top of my upper grate to the lid so I have plans for making a D shaped 1/2 grate with 3" legs for stacking things or to act as a warmer

Yes, those are hinged Weber grates for a 22.5" kettle. The warmer idea sounds good! I'm cooking on mine for the first time right now, so we'll se how it goes!

Back