Rockin W Smokers

SouthernQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am traveling to Dallas this weekend to visit some offset pit builders. In particular, I am interested in a Jambo or Jambo style traditional offset smoker and have been looking at the Rockin W backyard unit. There are several units out there with airflow design similar to Jambo (R&O, El Ray, etc.) but the Rockin W appears to be very well built and have some unique features such as the air intake system and wider exhaust at the bottom of the stack.

I have read all the threads on this site regarding Rockin W but would greatly appreciate current feedback from users of the backyard 24x48 model. Rockin W is fairly new and don't have the reputation some other builders do so of course I have reservations.

http://rockinwsmokers.com/pit-details

1) Are the welds good quality and hold up to time / heat without cracking?
2) Does the unit have good draft and burn clean? It will need to draft well given the air intake design which enters toward the top of the firebox door and ducts to the bottom.
3) Is temperature even across the grates?
4) Do you like the single door vs. two small ones?

I welcome feedback on any other points as well.

Thank you!

If you have time you should check out Bell Fab in Owasso, OK, just north of OKC. They make a great one off smoker with excellent material and fabrication. Craig Bell is a great guy who will bend over backwards to meet your personal specifications and wants.

Contact him at: bellfab@sbcglobal.net

I hope I can answer some of your questions. I have been currently cooking on a Rockin W Smoker for 3 years now. We have cooked in a total of 25 competitions and I have also done some catering. The pit I have was built approximately 3 years ago and I have had no issues with it. Out of the 25 competitions we have finished in the top 5 14 times with 2 GCs, 4 RGCs, 1 3rd, two 4th place finishes and five 5th place finishes all with cooking on a Rockin W Smoker. The smoker is one of the most evenly cooking smokers I have ever used. It is super easy to manage I run a 12 inch split about every hour depending on the temp your cooking and it maintains the temperature across the board.

I know for a fact that Daniel the owner and pit builder at Rockin W takes pride in his work. I would call him a perfectionist when it comes to welding. I don't think you will find a pit with better welds. I used a Rockin W up In Alaska for 2 years in extreme temperatures reaching -35 with no issues. The pit still maintained temperature with his insulated fire box it was amazing even at extreme cold temperatures. I can say it has been Alaska Tested and Approved...

Daniels unique draft design helps the pit to burn clean and get a great smoke on the meat. He has engineered his intake to condition the air and heat it before it hits the fire giving a cleaner burn preventing a heavy smoke. When cold air hits a fire it tends to create a heavier smoke Daniel has solved this problem with his unique design.

On an off set I love the double door because you can open one not releasing all the heat out of the pit. With the single door when you lift the lid it releases all the heat out of the pit causing it to take longer to bounce back. With the Rockin W the recovery time is minimal. This way if you have ribs on and you still have your big meats on you can spritz your ribs without disturbing the heat on the brisket or pork.

I can't say enough about how these pits cook truly amazing and you wont be disappointed.

In our first 6 comps this year so far these are our results on our Rockin W
5th place overall
5th place overall
GC
RGC
3rd overall
5th Place

If you want to email me or message me feel free to email me at PitbullBBQ@gmail.com

Back