Cost/Shrinkage Burgers vs Pulled Pork

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I may be cooking for about 200 people coming up in May for an open house at a Fire Department(Yeah the same one that put the fire out haha). Im gonna be doing the cooking for free.

They mentioned doing burgers which I can handle no problem, but if the price is about the same, I would much rather do pulled pork, as the only things that I'm getting out of the deal are the satisfaction of helping out the Fire Department, and good free advertising.

I know people like burgers just fine, but good pulled pork has a tendency to "wow" folks who arent used to getting it. I would really like to talk them into the PP but don't want to cost them more money since they are paying for the meat.

I also know that it will also depend on the prices of each.

So what do you all think? Which of the two shrinks more? Ground beef, or pork butt?

Whatever you do, don't burn the meat :becky:

Is it a fundraiser or will the food be given out for free? What serving portions are you planning? Are there to be sides? chips maybe?

I think you can get more shrink from ground meat than pork shoulders simply because of the fat and moisture allowed to be used in ground meat. Further, I think you can serve less pork with more impact than a hamburger patty. By that I mean, 6 ounces of pulled pork looks a lot better than 8 ounces of beef patty. Add in the effect of sauce and maybe some simple slaw versus all the condiments and veggies for burgers and I bet costs are the same and hassle is a lot less at service. Make sure the firemen know that they get leftovers and make sure there are leftovers. Cost is less of an issue then.

how many butts can you do at one time? for 200 people....not sure..not a caterer but...maybe 8 or 10??? more? Butts might be cheaper by a bit, but burgers would probably be easier.

I'm not actually sure if they will be selling or giving away.

I may try and talk them into pulled pork, and then do enough burgers and hotdogs to keep any picky kids happy.

I'm pretty picky when I'm pulling my pork and only get about 40%, some report 50-60%. At about half the price per pound of ground beef I think you'd do ok cost wise. Remember though we're probably talking 12-15 butts (by my books). Can you pull all that meat? Can you keep it all at a safe temperature? If you're chilling it, can you crash cool that much meat that quickly?

I would do the pork, I think most kids like pull pork . I know when we do it at school the kids love it because it something different. I would do PP and hotdogs Like you said it good adverstiment if you want to start catering.

I'm pretty picky when I'm pulling my pork and only get about 40%, some report 50-60%. At about half the price per pound of ground beef I think you'd do ok cost wise. Remember though we're probably talking 12-15 butts (by my books). Can you pull all that meat? Can you keep it all at a safe temperature? If you're chilling it, can you crash cool that much meat that quickly?

I'm pretty picky as well. I dont like the idea of someone getting a sandwich with a big glob of fat or connective tissue.

I should have plenty of room to hold it all as long as needed in my pit in steam pans after its pulled, just have to keep the temp high enough.

uploadfromtaptalk1298933487576.jpg

Pulled pork would be much cheaper if you have the space and time to cook it. Assuming your neighbors eat pork. I think it sounds much better than a burger.

I would go with the pork.

If you do go with dogs a burgers you'll be grilling not smoking them right?

I would go with the pork.

If you do go with dogs a burgers you'll be grilling not smoking them right?

Yeah indirect heat smoked burgers doesn't sound appealing to me. Haven't tried it though. I do like hotdogs smoked though.

I smoked burgers ONCE.

I did however buy a roll of gound meat and smoked it like a fatty then sliced it into pattys. That turned out pretty good.

I smoked burgers ONCE.

I did however buy a roll of gound meat and smoked it like a fatty then sliced it into pattys. That turned out pretty good.

Yeah I would think that smoked burgers wouldn't have a good texture and probably wouldn't look very appealing.

Smoked burgers are very tasty, they lack the grill marks of grilled burgers, but, they taste great.

this past Friday We cooked pork burgers (hugely popular in central IL) for over 700. With a little bit of your favorite rib rub they are amazing!

Our meat locker put them in 1/4 pound patties at around $2.19 a pound

I'm pretty picky as well. I dont like the idea of someone getting a sandwich with a big glob of fat or connective tissue.

Off the subject a bit, but when I do long overnighters on my wsm (225-250 at the vent), there's a LOT less fat or connective tissue left than when I cook during the day and try to get it done faster...not enough to look for, and pulling is done in a jiffy once what's left of the fat cap is removed.

Regarding your queastion though, I'd politely tell them that after thinking about cooking for that many, you realized that pulled pork is the only way to go. I think they'll really appreciate the grateful gesture, but remember that putting out the fire was their job. You don't have to point out that flipping burgers isn't yours.

Off the subject a bit, but when I do long overnighters on my wsm (225-250 at the vent), there's a LOT less fat or connective tissue left than when I cook during the day and try to get it done faster...not enough to look for, and pulling is done in a jiffy once what's left of the fat cap is removed.

Regarding your queastion though, I'd politely tell them that after thinking about cooking for that many, you realized that pulled pork is the only way to go. I think they'll really appreciate the grateful gesture, but remember that putting out the fire was their job. You don't have to point out that flipping burgers isn't yours.

Oh absolutely. In the end whatever they decide they want is what they will get. Even if its smoked potted meat. But I think they were inclined to believe that Burgers would be cheaper. When I tell them otherwise that should take care of that.

I like both, but would think that given the choice they will like the pulled pork idea alot.

Back