Gas grill

K

Kung Fu BBQ

I've never cooked on one. I'm at my sis in laws house and want to smoke up some ribs but they only have a gasser. I know it can be done, can someone give me the low down?

Don't own one but I would think that you can make a foil packet fill it with wood chips & poke holes in the foil, or buy one of the cast iron ones they sell at HD. Put the chips over the fire & set the gasser to low.

If you have the room I'd cook them offset. Use a oven thermometer and adjust as needed. If you have some wood chunks put them in foil for a little smoke.

You can just make some smoke packets out of aluminum foil. Mix some wet and dry chips in a foil pouch and poke some holes in it. Just throw a packet on the burner and it will smoke away. Use the indirect heat cooking method by only use some of your burners. I.e...leave the two middle burners off and outside burners on etc.

Smoke pouch on the lit burner please...or it wont smoke :grin:

Use as many pouches as ya need...when it burns out and quits smoking just take it out and replace it with another. Good luck

If turning a burner off isn't going to work, you could put a large foil pan on top of the flavorizer bars to get indrect heat.
Dave

I would suggest that you go with babyback ribs since they will cook rather fast that way you don't run out of propane.

I do prefer low and slow but this might be just the trick for you.

I know that you can braze up some BB's in the oven on broil pretty quick, I worked at a restaurant that got rave reviews doing this. They would cook them under a medium heat then once they were done, they would add the sauce and caramelize it with a high heat but watch so that they do not burn.

The chef at that restaurant would apply hot hot hot mustard on one side of the ribs and a sweet BBQ sauce on the other and they were to die for.

Been there, done that...the following is what works for me:

First, be sure there's plenty of propane in the tank. If there's no meter, throw some very cold water on the tank - the condensation will form at the level of the propane inside the tank. If you're under half a tank, you may want to have another tank at the ready.

I haven't had any success with direct grilling and ribs - everything I've tried winds up "black and blue" (burnt on the outside, raw on the inside). Think roasting - low, indirect heat on a closed grill.

Get some woodchips (hickory, pecan, or whatever you plan to use) and soak 'em in water for at least an hour. Remove the cooking grates from the BBQ, fire up the gasser on full high heat (all burners) and let it pre-heat for about 20 minutes with the lid closed. While it's pre-heating, drain the wood chips, wrap 'em in a foil packet or two, and poke some holes in the top of each packet. At 20 minutes, throw the packet into the gasser on the left side - on top of the lava rocks or the burner furthest to the left, then close the lid. When you see the first wisps of smoke leaking out from the closed unit, turn off the right-hand burner, turn the remaining burners (including the one under the wood chip packet) down to medium-low or low, put the cooking grates back in the BBQ, then put in your ribs on the on the right-hand side and close the lid. Mop 'em with apple juice at about 45 minutes. Figure they'll be done in 90 minutes to two hours. You can sauce 'em during the last 20 minutes.

It won't be like ribs off the smoker, but it'll be good enough to fool those who don't know any better.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

what a cooking disaster.
My Bro-n-law doesn't keep a tidy grill.
Needless to say I had some huge flare ups. Luckily toward the end of the cook I had foiled the ribs, but I left the rib tips out. I heard screaming from outside and there were huge flames coming out of the grill opened the lid and there was a huge grease fire. The rib tips were rock solid chunks of charcoal. Oh well.
i cleaned his grill for him later that night.

"Ya know, in some parts of the world blackened ribs (or fish or steak or whatever you've burnt) is considered the height of good Q" - best line I've ever heard for burned food.

Sorry to hear that it all went south on ya.

Back