Chicken Question

ricksegers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was perusing another board and they were having a long discussion about chicken. There was a great deal of agreement about dusting the chicken with cornstarch to improve skin crispness. They used it on whole chickens and pieces. The way i understood it was to wash and dry chicken and very lightly dust with cornstarch and then use your dry rub. If doing a whole chicken (beer can style) they used skeweers of some kind to keep the wings away from the body to allow heat to get in the folds otherwise it would be gummy. One of the posters even admitted to using a light corn meal dusting. Has anybody ever heard of this or done it and what is the result. I may experiment the next time Ido chicken but inquiring minds wanted to know something sooner.

May all your Groundhog Days be cloudy!

Rick

Interesting concept - I've never used it or seen it used.

Definately worth an experiment or three.

In the discussion, did they talk about temps?

Velly intelesting....

Yes, I think an experiment is called for! I know when I raised my temps for chicken the skin improved but I still peel it off the beer can chicks cause it's still rubbery.

Please post any results here!

Any chicken that I cook in the smoker is always finished on the grill to address the rubber-skin issue. It would be great to find out if the dusting method works.

RichardF said:
Any chicken that I cook in the smoker is always finished on the grill to address the rubber-skin issue. It would be great to find out if the dusting method works.

And if it does, why wouldn't it work on other meats that you want a crust (bark) on??? Hmmm........

cabo said:
And if it does, why wouldn't it work on other meats that you want a crust (bark) on??? Hmmm........

Because you don't cook other meats with their skin on?

Just guessing

This is a good thread. Can't wait to hear the results.

I’m thinking the corn starch soaks up the juices and then crisps up…
Could be wrong??? Worth a try!!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! If it don’t work, put it in the “Don’t
Try This Forum”

cabo said:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! If it don’t work, put it in the “Don’t
Try This Forum”
I think that forum is in the "Hey Y'all, watch this" forum.

what do you think about adding cronstarch to the rub and eliminate one step?

They're on

After posting I decided what the he??

I have four chicken thighs with corn starch in cooker with a pork loin roast. I will let you know results...

ricksegers said:
After posting I decided what the he??

I have four chicken thighs with corn starch in cooker with a pork loin roast. I will let you know results...

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon I hope. I'm hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZILLA said:
what do you think about adding cronstarch to the rub and eliminate one step?

Is that like feeding mayo to a tuna.

RichardF said:
Is that like feeding mayo to a tuna.

Why not, if that eliminates a step.
Mmm, good samich, Tuna & Mayo!!!:wink:

Harry,

I think you'd want the cornstarch applied seperately and first because it's sole purpose is to pull moisture from the skin. Cornstarch, as I'm sure you know, absorbs a huge amount of moisture and acts as a thickener in many receipes (gravies, pie fillings, etc.)...you don't want a thicker coating on the chicken, you just want to pull the moisture from it.

You would probably want to keep the cornstarch limited to the skin - we normally don't want "crisp" bbq chicken - ie. a crisp coating on the "other side" of the thigh, for example.

Hopefully, the experiments will provide us with the empirical data we all seek.

chad said:
Hopefully, the experiments will provide us with the empirical data we all seek.

This sounds to much like work.

Great 'que IS work...a labor of love, but work!!:mrgreen:

If and when I try this I'll put rub under the skin, then dust the skin with cornstarch (probably use a shaker like is used for confectioner's sugar) and then shake on the rub.

Hmmm, this begs the question of what to do about marinated chicken. You'd want the marinade to do it's work on the meat....hmmmm!! I'm thinking it's time to do some chicken this weekend.:biggrin:

chad said:
Great 'que IS work...a labor of love, but work!!:mrgreen:

If and when I try this I'll put rub under the skin, then dust the skin with cornstarch (probably use a shaker like is used for confectioner's sugar) and then shake on the rub.

Hmmm, this begs the question of what to do about marinated chicken. You'd want the marinade to do it's work on the meat....hmmmm!! I'm thinking it's time to do some chicken this weekend.:biggrin:

Hehehe, Your catchn on !!!!!

Back