Availability of Charcoal

AlanK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi,

Happy 4th! Is it just a typical annual occurrence that I am noticing for the first time or is this year resulting in a charcoal shortage? I use Blues Hog lump and B&B briquettes and I'm having a difficult time finding both. Blues Hog and large bags of B&B were available at Ace and now I can't get either. I live in the North East so the selection of stores is limited. The prices online are ridiculously high due to price gouging. The Blues Hog website has not had charcoal available all season. What is going on?

Alan

Happy 4th. I think the supply chain is distracting everything these days so things vary so much by region. I have discovered if you need it and see it you better get it because it might not be available tomorrow.

I was able to pick up a couple 30 pound bags of Royal Oak lump this last week.

Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Ok so I may catch some heat for this. At $9.98 for 40lbs of charcoal, I just had to try the home depot embers brand. My 560 is rolling along just fine with clean looking smoke. Not sure about the ash yet but, for that price I am not concerned with that. Running self-made cherry chunks in the ashcan.

If you catch heat then it is working. As long as it is not dirty or as we will see has a ton of ash then fire is fire.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Roshlers in Allendale, NJ has blues hog lump. Call first to check their stock

Otherwise you can order online and do shipping from a few places. That’s how I get my rock wood lump. ACE has a decent selection up in NJ too - some stocked and some shipped to store in about a week

I know this doesn't help much but I too, feel that when you see it, buy it. I couldn't find denatured alcohol in CA, so I had to take a 3 hour drive to Nevada. HD had 10 gallon sized cans, so I bought them all. That should be enough to last me the rest of my life, but these days, that's what you have to do. When you find it, buy as much as you can.

Don't feel alone. B&B down here in Texas is equally hard to find, especially the Char Logs. Academy hasn't had any for 4 months now. Local Ace stores get it sporadically. When I see it's in stock, or expecting store delivery, I'll buy 2-3 bags whether needed or not.

Our Academy hardly has any charcoal and none of the B&B including the comp logs. They did have a good supply of the B&B wood splits.

I stopped at ACE the other day and they were low on charcoal as well.

I was in Academy recently and noticed they didn't have a lot of charcoal in stock. They did have a new one, a B&B Texas size lump which I wanted to try, but at $25 a bag, I passed.
Walmart has the best price around here for RO lump, but when I tried to buy some a few weeks ago, they were out, so it must be widespread.

Hi,

Happy 4th! Is it just a typical annual occurrence that I am noticing for the first time or is this year resulting in a charcoal shortage? I use Blues Hog lump and B&B briquettes and I'm having a difficult time finding both. Blues Hog and large bags of B&B were available at Ace and now I can't get either. I live in the North East so the selection of stores is limited. The prices online are ridiculously high due to price gouging. The Blues Hog website has not had charcoal available all season. What is going on?

Alan

Check out ace hardware. Ace in river edge was unloading a pallet of blues hog lump tonight. They also had fogo. They said BGE brand will be out of stock for months. Not that you want BGE brand but they mentioned there was a shortage in the supply chain

I haven't had a problem finding it. But usually I stock up on the sales for Memorial Day.

None of that this year. :sad:

Back