THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your fav meat to fat ratio for burgers?

• 85/15

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 80/20

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • 70/30

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • other

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
80/20

If I go any leaner than that, the burger isn't juicy. Any fattier, the burger shrinks too much, and I can't keep the grease flare-ups under control.

I grind my own, so I'm guessing, like Sudsandswine. But I usually add bacon fat to my blend too.
If I have to buy ground beef, I'll look for 70/30, but it's rare you'll find it. Mostly 80/20 on the shelves.

I don't like the burger to be 1/2 the size I started with when I am done. However, fat makes the burger better. So I split the difference and went 80/20.

i add 10% beef suet to my ground venison. yeah, it's lean but i like the texture better compared to venison burger that added fatty hamburger or pork sausage.

Suet works great! Sometimes I grind up fatty bacon and add to the venison.
Like you, I like venison burger a bit lean. I love the flavor of venison and don't want to change it too much.

85/15 from 100% grass fed beef not cooked beyond med/med well to insure retained moisture.

Last edited:
I answered 70/30, but when i buy preground, I buy 73/27 whenever my local Kroger has it.
I prefer to grind my own, either chuck or brisket, which i figure is somewhere in that range.
BTW, wife really prefers the ground brisket.

I make my own and go for 75/25
But honestly it is probably closer to 80/20 as the fat percentage is fat and some meat
I put in "other" as I am not absolutely sure

Back