First fatty.....eh, so so.

Petemoss

Reaction score
I smoked my first fatty this weekend. I probably should have gone with a naked one, but I wanted to jazz things up just a little. You can see in the photos that I flattened it out, added some cream cheese and jalapeños, rolled it up, and added some rub.

I smoked it until the internal temp was 160'somthing (I don't actually remember).

It really looked pretty nice, and it tasted pretty good. I just have two complaints. When slicing, it fell all apart :confused:. What did I do wrong? Also, the cream cheese didn't really melt well and was kind of coagulated (that's a terrible word to use for food). Is there a better cheese choice for these things? I specifically used cream cheese because we do jalapeños stuffed with sausage and cream cheese and they turn out great.

Thanks

MMM_8308.JPG

MMM_8311.JPG

MMM_8312.JPG

MMM_8314.JPG

Try a naked fatty next time. That's how I cook 95% of mine. Stuffed ones are good, but for me, it's better when kept simple.

I, too, started with a stuffed fatty. I used grated cheddar with my jalapeños and such... melted much nicer.

I'd seriously suggest going for a naked fatty next. (Someone will correct me here, I'm sure)... one with just some dry rub and in the smoker. That's been my favorite ever since the rest of these fine folks got me addicted.

That doesn't mean that it's boring... oh no... different rubs and such have kept me on my toes ever since trying this the first time! Using them for different meals, too... breakfast... chilled and thinly sliced for a charcuterie... appetizer... you name it, and I've probably tried it.

Give her another shot soon. The Fatty does not disappoint.

Kind regards,
SD

Cream cheese does get a little weird when headed and not able to be stirred up.

Not sure why it crumbled like that...perhaps your knife?

maybe overcooked? the pic makes it look a little dry. What temp did you cook it to?

Unfortunately, your fatty got dry and shrunk up (*insert joke here*). Try it again with a little less heat or less time (depending on what your temp was on this one).

Thanks guys. Like I say, I'm not sure of the exact internal temp. It was mid 160's I think.

One problem was that I had to put it on the top rack in the smoker because I had the lower one loaded with ribs. In my smoker, the top rack does run quite a bit hotter than the lower.

So, while I did get the IT to 160s it may have totally overcooked the outside by that time.

you could go nekkid like folks are saying, but if you want to try that out again maybe trowel it out.....

LastSunAug2012040.jpg

Pastrami & Swiss "Deli Fattie"....

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2023.jpg

LastSunAug2012045.jpg

Just chop the peppers a little finer & embed in the cheese....

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2048.jpg

I try to go just a smidge lower heat, like 260~275 & they seem to come out pretty good @ 160 / 165 ending.....

Speaking of fatties, 1buckie that's a nice looking fatty you have there. Where can I find some good recipes for fatties. I have one that has you making patties, but I like that meatloaf style that you did.

Sorry, I just now saw this Quint......

I'm not totally hep on where to find everything around here & it's one humongous place counting all the stored away threads.....

However....you're in luck !!!

The Fattie Throwdown" just ended & that means we can still get to the voting thread and that means the cook threads are still accessible and that means you'll be smack dab in the middle of prime real estate for fattie cooks & recipes......

Here's the voting thread....just click on each person's name & most have the fixup thread right there or will have it listed.....and.....you can always just start a thread asking for people favorites....most folks just love to tell ya all about fatties.......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195619

Wow, 1buckie, that is some fabulous looking business you have there. That is a good idea to keep things thin inside. However, I think I will take it back to basics and go nude next time. Then I can work on just getting the thing done properly.

Dynamic Fatty you got going on there. You got the technique down so work it till you have it dialed in just the way you like it.

That's what I'm talkin' about, T&S!
(I'd skip the syrup, but momma has a sweet tooth).

Cream cheese does get a little weird when headed and not able to be stirred up.

Not sure why it crumbled like that...perhaps your knife?

I've never used cream cheese. The water/milk moisture content varies too widely. When all that moisture tried to escape --Maybe you made a fatty pipe bomb? Peeps thought on your knife makes sense. Did you allow it to rest any before slicing, knife have a good edge?

There really are no Fatty fails. If it wants to crumble put it in black eyed peas, beans, scrambled eggs, gravy etc.

You cooked a fatty. You Win!!

Last edited:
You could "cut" the cream cheese with some sour cream to help it be more fluid.

Hmm. I thought I posted a response from my phone, but it seems to have not made it.

The knife was sharp. I used to sharpen my kitchen knives by hand, which I could get good and sharp but it was so much work that I would only do it every few months. I finally bought one of those Chef's Choice electric sharpeners. It doesn't get quite as sharp but it sure is convenient to be able to keep edges on all your knives.

I think it is probably a combination of being dried out with the chunky ingredients, maybe the cream cheese pipe bomb effect too.

Back