Smoking a butt on Weber 22" Kettle

The Don of BBQ

Found some matches.
Does anyone have any input on the best way to smoke a butt on a 22" Weber kettle grill? I've done it a few times with pretty good results but I'll admit I'm pretty bad at holding things constant from one smoke to another. How much charcoal to add to start and what's the best way to hold the temp around 225-250?

Just do it indirect with a water pan. Don't be too concerned with grill temps, butts are very forgiving Go for an IT of 195*.

I've done it several time before I got my UDS and WSM. I partitioned one side of the grill off with an empty charcoal grate. Added about 30-40 coals and then lit with about 6 hot ones. Wait until you get to about 200* or so and then close off the bottom vents. The grill temps will rise up to 250*. When the smoke is right add the meat. This methods works great with the exception of having to monitor the temps. I was adding coals every 1 1/2 hours or so. I found that it would hold 250* for about that time and then fall. A little patience and some work will get you some really good PP.

Back