Price on used 500 gal offset smoker

That's more than I'd pay, especially without knowing more about the builder. Whether or not that's "high" I dunno.

I'd ask him why you should pay him $4500 vs going with a well known name brand (Lang or others) for less. Let's see what his response is.

Looks high to me, fellow Idahoan... and its in Kettle Falls.

It seems to be modeled after the Franklin/Moberg Texas style traditional offsets...and priced nearly as much. No way I'd pay that to an unproven builder.

Just an observation I have made from Craig's list is that people tend to list things for "Brand new" prices and leave it posted for a long time to see if anyone bites. There is no cost to make a listing so I think they try to get the most money from someone who doesn't know any better.

It seems to be modeled after the Franklin/Moberg Texas style traditional offsets...and priced nearly as much.

Yes, I agree, the grate-level exhaust is a good indicator.

If a new Lang is $4000, I would say that one is worth $1500 to $2000. Anything that is custom built has poor resale value if that is a consideration.

Chris

I would want something that big on a trailer personally. In a restaurant, not needed though.

You can build a new one from a lesser-known fabricator for less money. The only other factor is transportation costs.

The firebox looks pretty small for a 500 gallon tank. I would never spend $4,500 on a backyard builder with no feedback or reputation.

Back