THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When I sell concessions I cut them to a St Louis and sell for $21 a rack and sell the tips for $6. I really don't like doing ribs anymore, there is not much money in them as compared to other items that could be taking up the space on a cooker.

I have some people i know wanting me to do some for them. So what do u charge to do whole spare each?

You dont charge to cook a spare, you charge for the whole thing or dont charge at all.
Rack of ribs vending go $20 and at the raunt $24.

Is it worth your time to cook a couple few racks for 10 bucks per rack?

Rule of thumb in the food business, take cost add $1 then multiply by 3. This covers everything plus gives you decent profit. I leave slabs whole. That puts mine at $18 a slab.

Couldn't agree more with the advice given. But as someone mentioned your money ain't in the ribs. Last year I did several butts for people for the holidays. Many people have gotten away from the traditional meal (Turkey, Ham etc.) during the holidays and gone toward different things. I cooked about 12 butts for people last year and made a very good profit. Then this past summer I did some ribs and the profit margin just ain't as good. :thumb:

Couldn't agree more with the advice given. But as someone mentioned your money ain't in the ribs. Last year I did several butts for people for the holidays. Many people have gotten away from the traditional meal (Turkey, Ham etc.) during the holidays and gone toward different things. I cooked about 12 butts for people last year and made a very good profit. Then this past summer I did some ribs and the profit margin just ain't as good. :thumb:

I agree, butts and shoulders will net the most. For some reason in my area, people have gone nuts. They will pay $18-$22 a slab and bow up over $20-$25 for a butt let alone $30+ for a shoulder. I had some good luck doing fresh hams like I do shoulders. I have found the hams cheaper to buy than a shoulder at times.

Back