Recommendations for a ~38" built in gas grill

C

chris_r11

Hi all,

Starting to plan a outdoor kitchen and am trying to decide on what grill to use.

Wondering if there are any recommendations of what brands/models to look at and what to not consider for a built in 38" gas grill. I mostly cook for the family - steak, chicken, veggies, fish, that sort of thing.

I have been reading up on the cal flame (bad customer service?) beefeater, napoleon, etc? Trying to keep the cost below 2k. I would like something that has a sear burner and will last. My current BBQ is a BBQ galore cook-on that is falling apart and I am a bit frustrated that they don't offer parts any more.

Anyways, just looking for some opinions and suggestions.

Chris

Chris, you must have read my mind, I was just going to ask the same thing, except I made a mistake a few years back. I got a Fire Magic 36 in built in, which was pretty damn expensive, and I hate it. In my opinion, it is a very poor design, the drip pan is too close to the burners, so any little grease dripping down, starts to flame almost immediately. So I now have a $4K rotisserie! I'm looking to replace it.

Luckily I don't need a gasser often.

Dale

In that price range I think I might would do two built in big green eggs. You will turn out much much better food.

I actually am considering another Egg, but have to admit, there are times where it is nice to fire up the gasser for a quick sear, on a chicken piece for example.

Chris, not many on this forum use gas much I guess, (or asmit it :)) but let me know what you find out, i need a replace ment as well.

Dale

I will let you know, Dale. I am sort of a Gas person, so the green eggs are sort of out. Thanks for the idea though.
Chris

I have owned a Beefeater for about nine years and love it. Best gas grill I've ever used. It's takes a while to learn how to cook on it but that makes it very capable.

I've had to clean it, and replaced one plastic knob in the time I've owned. Will probably replace the vaporizers and reflectors this year.

I have a four burner and my only regret was not getting a five burner.

Buy once, but the price hurts.

sroxberg,

That's good to hear. I was trying to learn a bit more about the beefeaters, but there does not seem to be much about them online, other than their web page. I don't remember seeing them listed on pages where other companies have replacement parts for all grills - do you think that is a problem? Do you know where they are made?

Chris,

I'm lucky in that I have a local dealer in KS, Smoke N Fire that carries the grills and all the parts. www.smokenfire.com you could probably call them they are very knowledgable about the grills.

They have two lines one made in China which I wouldn't recommend, and the Signature line which is made in Austrailia. I have the Signature with the black Porcelean top. It is outdoors 360 days a year in kansas, covered most of the time but not always. They also have the Signature in Stainless.

It gets really, really hot which is great for searing.

Let me know if you need more info, the store would probably main you a catalog as well.

I would get a weber. For built in's they are either 32 or 40 inches. They have parts for years and have some of the best customer service.

Back