3-2-1 method?

1fastf7

smoked a rack of baby backs & a rack of spares,,3 2 1 method,very moist & tasty,,but possibly too tender as they tried falling apart,& bones pulled out too easy..smoked at 225-250.i like to be able to easily slice through to separate the portions,maybe next time should i try less foil time? im not complaining,,just trying to improve..

3-2-1 is a good measuring point to start with and then work from by changing the numbers up, I know for BB's its too long and if your spares just fell apart I usually change up the (2) to 1 and add a little time to the (1) at the end to firm them up.

Scott

3-2-1 is just a concept. Baby backs take less time than spares too.

Each rack of ribs will be done when the meat has pulled back from the bone about 1/2" and they droop down quite a bit if you hold them up by the end.

I have found that much more than 45 minutes for spares and 30 minutes for BBs in foil is too long for the way I like them.

Lately I have stopped using foil for ribs and think the product is better.

You just have to experiment to see what you like.

My suggestion is unless you're in a bind and need the meat to cook quick get rid of the 3-2-1 method. You can cook better Q without it.

I like to do baby backs with 2-1.5-1. Offers a slight resistasnce to the teeth which is the way I like them. Not tough nor mushy.

Try differant times until you hit upon what works best for you.

My baby back time is 2-1-1 or less. Cooked some last night at just under 300° and did a 2-1/2-1/2. Came out perfect.

The only time I use foil is to hold the ribs if they're to be held for later....if not they're eaten as soon as they come off the cooker

Back