butts, collar, shoulder ???

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
From the discussion currently brewing in the competition forum, I have the question about pork cuts from the shoulder primal. There is some discussion that cooking a pork collar butt would be cheating. Is there an advantage to cooking a collar butt, versus say, a Boston Butt or Picnic Shoulder? If I am not a competition cook, lets talk about what would be the best part of the shoulder to cook for pulling?

Let's also assume I cannot get a whole shoulder onto my 22.5 kettle.

Well, it appears to be the part of the shoulder that is above the section of bone that is normally found in the Boston Butt. But, I am not totally clear on that.

Had to look it up myself... a collar portion appears to be from the neck.

Here's the quoted section from KCBS rules...

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker.

Does not specify collar (neck)... could be misunderstood.
Altho live on-site meat inspections should clear that up.​

Boston Butt = upper shoulder portion
Picnic cut = lower shoulder portion​

Butt + Picnic = whole shoulder.​

Have cooked all 3 portions (upper, lower, whole).
Those who compete may prefer the money muscle... a tender portion from the boston butt.​

(It seems the pulled pork section is always mired in questionable definitions and requirements each year.)​

Last edited:
Collars are not legal for KCBS comps.. There are quite a few that want to try to use European meat charts and all kinds of other thoughts to skate around a very clear rule. The dist. mentioned on the other forum who has been selling them only leaves a four pound piece to buy. That is enough right there. Has to be 5#or more period. They also sell for approx. $4.oo a#. Good parts of the upper shoulder, but not legal in my opinion. Most people I've talked to that try them say they are not worth the extra $. It's a matter of trying to see whether one wants to spend the money or not. But for comps, too hot of a subject for current rules. I know I, and most others don't cheat. I hope this gets clarified soon with plain, simple logic. Butts and shoulders, when done right are going to be fine for pulling. The collar will be leaner and still pull ok. Like I said, one has to decide after trying and determine themselves. Steve.

Since I am more of a home cook, that is why I brought the question here. I am wondering, if it is seen as cheating, if it is somehow better. I will try to find one, but, just wondering...

There is no advantage or disadvantage. Collar butt, Boston butt. Same piece of meat.. Don't pay more for one over the other. It's just different terminology for the same piece of meat. They just don't refer to it as a "Boston" butt, in Europe or the rest of the world for that matter.

Back