UDS Fire The Whole Basket or Minion?

QuietOne

Full Fledged Farker
I've been pondering the question of continuing with the Minon method that I have been using. 8 - 10 individual lite on top of 4Kg

or as I've seen lite up the whole basket wait till it grays over and then put it in the drum. It is a tempting thought when using K as all the junk has a chance to off gas before it gets in the drum.

I'm just wondering about temperature control. For those that have done both methods the pros and cons of each would be nice to hear.

At what I pay for charcoal I hate the idea of firing up a full load and finding I can't get the temperature under control.

Minion method with wood chunks distributed throughout the unlit lump charcoal. You get the much longer burn time needed for brisket with this setup.

I believe that the the smoke from the unlit charcoal below has to pass through the glowing hot coals above thus helping to produce clean blue smoke.

yep, what Jim ^^^ said. A whole load of lit fuel would most likely get too hot too quick and be a big pain the keep low for low and slow.

Back