cooking a pig on a grill?

Fishiest1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi, all I have never done anything like this so thought I would ask. I have two backwoods already neither of which are really meant for a whole hog but was wondering if something like this would be okay? I know its not a smoker but was wondering if you could still get a decent product with it for this application. Thanks in advance!

bbq_pits_11-30-2007060.jpg

So it would be more of just cooking or roasting than smoking, right?

Is there a firebox on the back of that cooker? If so then I would think no problem. If the coals are directly beneath the hog, you will have to watch the hog closely so that it does not burn. Also, there might not be enough room to do a whole hog. How long is the cooker?

Is there a firebox on the back of that cooker? If so then I would think no problem. If the coals are directly beneath the hog, you will have to watch the hog closely so that it does not burn. Also, there might not be enough room to do a whole hog. How long is the cooker?

Yes, no smoke box just a grill. That isn't the exact unit I was thinking of just used that as an example of what I was was thinking about.

The biggest problem with doing a pig on a grill is the flare ups. With the coals directly under the pig it can be a huge problem unless you find a way to direct the drippings away from the coals.

The biggest problem with doing a pig on a grill is the flare ups. With the coals directly under the pig it can be a huge problem unless you find a way to direct the drippings away from the coals.

Gotcha! So is there something out there that I can grill steaks, burgers and put a whole pig on once in a while?

You really need at least 12" between the pig and the charcoal. You put most of the coals under the hams and shoulders with just a few in the center section. You have to tend the fire and add more lit coals as you go. You have to constantly watch it and spritz flare-ups with a spray botlle of water. It really is an art and something not easily learned without help from someone with experience.

There are horizontal offset smokers that have a cooking grate on the firebox that will allow you to grill small amounts of meat such as Lang, Gator, Jambo, Klose, Horizon, Pitmaker of Houston just to name a few.

You could look into the meadow creek pr series cookers with a grill pan....

I got one last fall but haven't gotten to use it yet,

Back