First try at practice boxes

Cigarbque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This is my first try at building turn in boxes. I am looking to learn so feedback is welcome. Had fun doing this today. Sorry my camera skills are not better.

boxes032.jpg

boxes048.jpg

boxes040.jpg

boxes046.jpg

I'd give the chicken a high 7 or 8. Some minor quibbles to nitpick, but overall the chicken presentation is solid.

The ribs I'd give a 7. My personal choice notwithstanding, the long (not St. Louis trimmed, I'm guessing?) bones look too narrow when you stack 4 on top of 4. I'd more fully fill the width of the box before I start stacking a second layer of bones.

The pork doesn't appeal to me at all. Whatever brown looking goo is on that doesn't say "delicious" to me. Maybe it's the photography (white balance / color's off?). Did the light change to a fluorescent source?

Sorry, but judging the photo and not the actual in-person box, I'd give the pork a 4. Similar deal with the brisket - probably a 5. It looks like you had to trim after the brisket was cooked to make it fit in the box. If you have a really big flat, I'd say it's better to trim (neatly) before you cook it.

Overall good looking but here is are my tips.

Chicken - Get the parsley a little more even all the way around. Looks like 2 thighs have the bones sticking out.

Ribs - Good on the parsley but agree with the Professor...spread out them ribs.

Pork - I like the slices on the right. Hard to tell what happened to the 2 on the left.

Brisket - Need to line the slices up. And 1 little piece of parsley in the back needs to go.

Getting good boxes is hard. I thought mine from this weekend looked great but the judges popped in a couple of 6's on me. I'll post them later so you can see. Good luck and keep trying!!!

Uncle Bud

Before I start, I just want to say that I'm not trying to nit-pic, or in any way be rough on you. I'm just telling you what I see. What I do is I look at each picture for no more than 5 seconds just like if I were sitting at the table. That is how I get the scores. The comments are after I've had some time to figure out what I liked (and didn't like) about each box and this can take some time...

OK, that being said, here it goes the scoring:
Chicken - 7
Ribs - 7
Pork - 6
Brisket - 7

Now the comments:

General: I would really try to make the parsley as even as I could around the boxes. Now before anyone starts ripping me a new one, I know that this is a meat contest. What I am trying to get across is that you want to distract from the meat as little as possible. By making the garnish look like it's almost painted on, it becomes a background for the meat so that the meat is what is looked at and not the parsley going all over the place.

Chicken: Nice color, I would try to find 6 that are about the same size (the one on the top center is much larger than the one on the bottom left). I would also trim off the "toes" at the bottom of the top center, bottom center, and bottom right, it looks like they are going in different directions. To me, the Top Left is the best looking trim and and size wise.

Ribs: Great color! In general, I would try to fit more ribs in the box, it looks a little 'skimpy'. I think I would put in at least 1 more rib on each level. I would also turn the ribs around. It looks like you have the pull back (bone) facing down rather than up. This gives the ribs a more uneven look to them. If you are trying to hide the bones, you need to put some parsley in front of them.

Pork: While the color looks good, (and this may be the pron) it looks like there is a layer of fat on a couple of the chunks in the front (esp. upper left and lower right) that is just turning me off. This is the one box that the parsley really bothers me. It's just way to thin and because of that it looks like the meat was 'tossed' into the box. I would also try to line up the sliced meat a little better; you did good on the right side but the left side needs some help. As for the the 'chunks', I would make them a little smaller and add more of them, there is to much green between them for my likeing...

Brisket: Again, your color is great! I would have made the burnt ends smaller and added more than six of them to the box. The slices need to be lined up better and I again would put more than seven of them in the box; you'll be amazed once you tighten up the slices how much you can get in there. The glaze looks kinda greasy but that may just have been the lighting.

Over all, for your first try you did great! Good luck!

Hope I didn't offend... It was not my intention...

Back