Venison

armor

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have some friends who are into hunting and want to know if I would smoke their venison. Has anyone smoked venison before and if so how did it turn out? It seems like One might have problems since it is so lean. Any input would be appreciated.

Ive grilled steaks before but, smoking..Im not sure. Ive read multiple posts on the matter, Im sure others will chime in

the only smoking u can really do with venison is cold smoked for jerky, it's just too lean i think.

closest thing you can do is to grill it, and add wood (chips?:roll:)for smoke.

But you can also cut meat into strips, marinade, lay out, put bacon on, and roll each strip/with bacon into a "wheel", run two bamboo skewers through the "wheel roll" at 90 degrees to each other, prinkle lots of good seasoning or rub all over it and grill them just like a steak. :biggrin:

I smoke a deer ham each Thanksgiving for my nephews. I always lard mine.

cover that deer ham with pork fat (bacon etc) and throw her on the smoker!! yummy!!:eusa_clap

A couple of weeks ago my BIL and I smoked a whole hind end that came out pretty darned good. He made up a marinade with oil, vinegar,garlic, and lots of herbs. We injected the hell out of it, wrapped it in a mess of suet, and wrapped it in cheese cloth (soaked in the marinade) to hold the suet on. We smoked it on a UDS for about 13 hours -- people went nuts over it. I think the beef suet was really helpful in keeping the meat moist. I would definitely do it again.

Back