Hot water heaters...again

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I went back and read some threads, mostly pertaining to permanent mounts. Lookng for a portable unit, hot water for sinks as well as showers. Seems to be two units, the Coelman and Zodi, any comments on either and pro's and cons. Will use in shower tent and on table for washing dishes. Scott

Scott- I picked up a Zodi camp shower to use for comps and it worked OK. It's not on demand, but if you recirculate the water it will get plenty hot. The battery operated pump seemed to work well. Its small and compact. One thing you have to watch out and not let your tank run out of water while the heater is lit. I have one of those flip top totes (12 gal) that I use to store it to and from then use it as the water tank, along with 3 dish tubs. I think some Zodi models come with a 4 gal tote/tank. The guy I got it from wanted to use it on his ski boat but never did.
SoCalBrian uses the Zodi too.

Hey Brian, I knew there were differences but I couldn't be sure. So the Zodi is a heater that heats a volume of water? I believe the coleman is on demand. That would lean me towards the coleman. Scott

We use the coleman for showers at the comps and fo reverything at the boy scout outings. It works like a champ. i researched both and went for the coleman.. cant remember why, but Im sure the thread is in here somewhere. didnt the zodi NOT come with the pump? or the pump was cheesy compared to the coleman? Can you get a hose adapter for the zodi, which gives you unlimited supply?

Here is the Zodi link, I have the Hot Tap
http://www.zodi.com/web-content/?gclid=CImQnZC7vJECFQIQFQod_zP-DA

It says its on demand, but its just a flame under a copper coil that you manually light (at least mine is) and the pump does an adequate job, but I found that running the heated water back into the tank for a bit until its pumping out HOT water worked best. I made a longer hose, and they sell accessories, but its a pretty simple design. As far as a hookup for unlimited supply from a tap, thats possible but I'd want an RV pressure regulator on it.

Its small and inexpensive, and its kind of marketed for the backcountry, if I weren't such a cheap ba$tard I'd have the Coleman, but when you start adding on the extras it really adds up. But everybody I've talked to had nothing but praise for the Coleman.

I used the Zodi for a comp and it beat heating water with the turkey fryer, just don't let a drunk use it and walk off and run the tank dry while the heaters still on!!

we use a coleman and it will burn your fingers in less than 5 or 6 seconds if your not careful. Runs a long time on a charge, and if you get low it has a spot for the charger on it. The only weekends we have ran it down till it needed charged was great american bq 3 days and AR 3 days. Most other weekends we can get 2 days no problem. The plastic jug it comes with sucks and won't last too long. The good thing is it can pump from any type of bucket or container. best to put bucket or container up off the ground so as to minimize the lift that the pump has to do.

I give it 4 stars!!!

I'm goin with the no showerin method the whole wknd at comps., may be a secret addition to the flavor of my meat....and may detur any other teams near us from concentrating on their cookin, and more on the odd smell flowing from our site...what can i say we need any edge we can get:mrgreen:

We have the Coleman for dishes. The shower thing will wait till we get home unless there is a shart attack!!

Thanks guys, I'm dry camping out of the truck, saltwater fishing and a freshwater rinse as well as the ability to use it for cooking are the motivations. Looks like a coleman in the near future. Scott

Compare the Coleman to the Oster.
Here is a site that shows that they are the same except for color and PRICE:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
http://dealnews.com/deals/Oster-Hot-Water-on-Demand-Pet-Washer-for-90-shipped/140744.html

Yes it is marketed for pets but heck it is the same manufacture hitting a different market with something as simple as a new color, and oh ..lets not forget the cost.
Hope this helps the bottom line.:wink:

Currently Unavailable!! That'll help the bottom line though.
It looks just like a Coleman and $90 is a killer deal!

Googled it and this came up
http://boise.craigslist.org/spo/554013128.html

It is a great deal, you will just have to do a little hunting. Enjoy

Don't give up, it is a little late in the season, but if you look on a daily basis your search will pay off.

Back