Brine and Inject a Turkey? and other ???s

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
I'm planning on smoking my turkey for Thanksgiving. I happened to pick up a brand new turkey fryer on CL for $15...included about a 40 qt pot, basket, large aluminum slotted spoon, therm, holders for the turkey AND an injector. I've never used one, and I had planned on brining the turkey overnight in water, sugar, salt, pepper and maybe either some agave nectar or ginger ale (just experimenting here).

Now that I have an injector, I was wondering if I can do both? Is it worth it?

Also, since it's just my wife, kids and my parents, my wife is getting about a 12-14 lb turkey. Without actually having it to see if it will fit, any comments about whether this would fit into a mini-UDS? Otherwise, I can use my UDS. Either way, I'm planning on running a combo of KB, mesquite lump and some cherry, hopefully at 300-325 degrees, with it being done within 2.5-3 hrs max, since it's a small turkey.

Thanks in advance!

I would do both injector and brine. Brining does not add alot of flavor, just moisture. I am thinking that I will both inject and brine. Also be careful that you dont add too much smoke. poultry soaks it up just like a sponge.

Good point on the smoke, I may just stick with the KB and lump. I'm using the lump to ensure it gets hot enough to cook the skin crispy. Thanks for the response.

Back