Andy from Chicago

Razorblader

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi All:

I joined just a week or two ago. Getting ready for my first cook of the year on Saturday. Of course, we got some surprise snow today, so I'm hoping it warms up this weekend. Planning a brisket from Sam's and a couple of racks of ribs. I was thinking about beef ribs, cuz I saw, but didnt get to taste some awesome looking beef ribs at La Barbeque in Austin a few weeks back. They were sold out by the time I hit the ordering window. I'm probably going to go with pork spares, because I have had success, and because then I get the best of both pork and beef worlds.

I have two Char Griller side box smokers. I know they aren't professional grade, but they do the job. Someday, I'll upgrade.

I ordered 15 lbs. of post oak from fruitawood.com. I've always used apple, cherry and beech chunks, but I like the Texas BBQ, and when I ask, they always use post oak. For the first time, I'm planning to use charcoal only to get the smokers started, then I'm moving to only the wood. Prior to this, its always been a combination of charcoal and the chunks.

I'm planning to post my experiences to the main forum.

So far, I've been reading the forums a lot, and it will change the way I cook this weekend, hopefully, for the better.

Glad to be here,
Andy

Oh yeah. One more thing... I could use a recipe for a good starter fatty. All I have so far is the bacon.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Welcome to the Brethren, Andy! Good luck with the big upcoming cook!

Welcome!!!

Your first fattie should be naked! Just rub on the outside.

Welcome to the madness Andy, enjoy your stay!

Yup just do a nekkid fatty :heh:

You're going to love the way you cook, I guarantee it!
Welcome to the Brethren!:thumb: sounds like you've got a great meal planned.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welcome!

I was not very happy to see all the white stuff this morning either, :sad: hope it goes away soon.

Welcome, from way out west. I agree with the others on the nekkid fatty. Just rub it with your favorite rub, cook it to 160-165, slice and enjoy!

And you can blame the snow on me. I threw away my shovel because it was so worn out. Not like this last round needed shoveled, but I am sure it was Mother Nature throwing it in my face one last time (I hope).

Welocme to the asylum!

As far as the fatty, please review the link in my signature.

There will be a test.

:becky:

Sorry for the delay, but Welcome aboard Andy, glad to have you here.

Let us know how the post oak works for you...

Don't be afraid to look around and explore the other forums.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back