Other activities at a comp...

M

Matt_A

I know that teams are usually very busy during a comp, but I'd like to hear what other activities you, or your family like to see at comps.

I would like the general public to have an enjoyable time and am interested in what sort of activities you think would be popular (and LEGAL).

Serving beer and some live music went over quite well this weekend where I competed. Also, make sure there are plenty of folks vending. Last year this same event got some poor reviews because due to a miscommunication with local health inspectors there were only two or three vendors. I think the general public comes to a BBQ competition expecting to eat some BBQ!

Serving beer and some live music went over quite well this weekend where I competed. Also, make sure there are plenty of folks vending. Last year this same event got some poor reviews because due to a miscommunication with local health inspectors there were only two or three vendors. I think the general public comes to a BBQ competition expecting to eat some BBQ!

Yes, they do.

I plan on having several BBQ vendors, but I'm also considering bringing in a food truck from our fantastic Mutt's Amazing Hotdogs. I plan on 6 or 7 bands to play throughout the day, and maybe a kids area with bounce castles, splash ground, etc. I will have at least one beer vendor, I'd like to see if I could get a couple of our Micro-Breweries here to come vend. A lemonade vendor, probably not a funnel cake or Indian Tacos vendor.

Sounds like you have it covered.
Plenty of (clean) potties is a must.
Misters/Sprinklers - if it is hot - is a must.
As stated, **as many vendors as you can get**. That's the #1 complaint I hear.
As a dad, I would recommend that you also have some basic dogs/burgers/nuggets/fries available.
Integrate the band into the comp; too many times I see the bands sequestered off to a corner.

Oh and lotsa Beer and SHADE.

Vendors...

Sounds like you have it covered.
Plenty of (clean) potties is a must.
Misters/Sprinklers - if it is hot - is a must.
As stated, **as many vendors as you can get**. That's the #1 complaint I hear.
As a dad, I would recommend that you also have some basic dogs/burgers/nuggets/fries available.
Integrate the band into the comp; too many times I see the bands sequestered off to a corner.

Oh and lotsa Beer and SHADE.
Porta-potties and Cooling Stations, misters and fans are already in the plans. I am also working on a local water company to sponsor free cold bottled water for teams and the public to drink.

I plan on having the entertainment in the middle of everything. I am planning on at least 6 different bands/groups throughout the day on turn-in day. One headliner for Friday evening.

Now, about the vendors... what sort of vendors do you like to see? The obvious ones are food vendors and beer vendors, what others? Product vendors, engravers, artwork, t-shirts, BBQ pit/products, auto/truck dealers? There is a Farmer's Market on the site Saturday morning that has a lot of different types of vendors. I intend to incorporate the FM into a side competition called some like Farm Fresh Food, or Local Fare.

Please make sure the bands playing during turn in hours are not soooo loud that team members cannot talk to each other from three feet away.

Please make sure the bands playing during turn in hours are not soooo loud that team members cannot talk to each other from three feet away.

I guarantee that NONE of the bands will be painfully loud. I've suffered through endless hours as a fair vendor not being able to pitch my product because the band was FARKING RIDICULOUSLY LOUD!

Or so loud that the judges can't hear the Reps & TCs durring judging.

JD, I've been through those and they're very thorough. I already have that side of the event under control. What I'm looking for is all the other stuff that not only makes the team's families happy, but keeps the public interested and entertained.

Gotcha...dunk booths are popular...especially if you have a few local celebrities...or pretty ladies...:becky: Face painting, balloon animals, tug-o-war, potato sack races, wiener dog races, frog hopping races, pie eating contests, watermelon eating contests, watermelon seed spitting contests...ya know...all that cool stuff we used to do as kids! :thumb: Good luck...and have fun! :p Oh...and punkin' carving...if it's in the fall...:-D Temporary tattoos are very popular now as well...especially with the teens...:cool:

The first comp I ever entered had pig races. 3 years later my daughter still talks about it.

Hog calling is was a close second. I think she just liked being able to get up on stage.

No Karaoke... but how about a Carry Okie contest?

find a suitably impressive local and have a contest to see who can carry him/her the farthest/fastest?

The one side activity that stands out in my memory is mutton bustin at Boss Hog in Waynesboro, GA. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I come from the city and I had never heard nor seen such a thing. :shocked: Pig races come a close second and having the children chasing greased piglets was a lot of fun to watch. The little ones would surround the pig but they didn't want to get their hands dirty/greasy by actually touching the pig. Eventually the piglet would just stand in the middle of the circle of children and look around.

Whatever you do, make sure the events are on one side of the contest area and the judging is on the other. Nothing worse than having to get to turn-ins and avoid kids at a bouncy castle / crowd & concert, etc. You're one well intented event away from ruining a teams weekend

If you can get stuff for the kids to do, not too far away from teams, but not next to judging. It helps a lot to be able to let my girls go play while we are working.

Back