Montreal Steak on a Brisket?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
I'm gonna cook my first full packer brisket tomorrow. I was just wondering if the Grill Mates Montreal Steak rub would make a decent choice of rubs for it?

I know people who use it on brisket so, if you like it, I don't see why not. Depending on how you are cooking it you may need some sugar of some sort to develop a good bark for example, if you are using foil.

I love Montreal steak seasoning. I use it on all my steaks but I have never tried it on a brisket. It would prolly be tasty but u as someone said above u might wanna add something like brown sugar to it for the bark

I like it and I use it on brisket.I also add some Dizzy Pigs Redeye Express.I prefer the McCormicks MSS to others.

I used a homemade version of Montreal steak seasoning on a full packer for the last Super Bowl and it was a very big hit with everyone at the party.

This is what I made;

Montreal Steak seasoning

4 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
1/2 tablespoon dehydrated garlic
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon dried fennel seed
1/4 tablespoon dried coriander

I doubled the recipe to give a thick coating on the brisket.

If you go heavy it can be pretty salty.

Which is why I don't use it. But, a lot of people like it. I had some lamb chops today grilled with rosemary, garlic, pepper, and Montreal Steak Seasoning that was reeeeeeaaaally good. So, in a mix with other seasonings I find it pretty good.

You shouldn't need much. Rub it down with about a handful of brown sugar on the side opposite of the fat cap and you should be good to go. If you make burnt ends, when you separate the flat from the point, trim off the fat, give it another handful of brown sugar and put the point back in the smoker until the bark gets nice and brown.

Another option is to put a thin coat of molasses on the brisket then rub it down with MS.

Honestly, this is going to be a killer brisket man! I am looking forward to seeing the prOn come out of this little deal. Montreal by McCormick is one of my all time favorite flavor profiles. If you are worried about salinity, go with the 1/3 less salt blend. I personally like salt so it doesn't bother me too much to have it.

You may also want to go with turbinado or some other raw sugar vs. brown so it doesn't burn on you.

Please give us lots of the prooooooooOOOOOooon, I am doing my first brisket for a family reunion on the 15th of Oct and I am interested to see this bad boy come out.:hungry:

I have done it that way with success. Made a tasty Brisket!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I have been using Famous Daves Rib Rub on my briskets and have been very happy with the results.

I think i'm actually gonna go with a basic rub of brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper for this brisket. I'm gonna experiment with the montreal steak a little before I use it on a big piece of meat since I haven't used it before... thanks for the feedback though and I'll be giving it a try in the future... I bought a big bottle of it at Sams Club yesterday for about six bux so i'll have it to play with...

I think i'm actually gonna go with a basic rub of brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper for this brisket. I'm gonna experiment with the montreal steak a little before I use it on a big piece of meat since I haven't used it before... thanks for the feedback though and I'll be giving it a try in the future... I bought a big bottle of it at Sams Club yesterday for about six bux so i'll have it to play with...

You really can't go wrong with the Montreal Steak seasoning. I've worked with a chef at a couple of the Denver area golf courses and when ever he makes prime rib or brisket or even Beef Wellington he uses Nobel Syscos version called Northwoods steak seasoning which is the same as Montreal steak seasoning.

At several catering party's that I worked at everyone loved the beef and not once did any one complain that the meat was to salty.

At my own feasts where I've served beef seasoned with either my own version or Noble Sysco's or even Mcormicks they have been a hit

I love Montreal Steak seasoning. I always have one opened up for use and its replacement on the shelf above. Some of my friends don't like spicy ribs so i just put on a light coat of Montreral steak seasoning on theirs and man do they jump on those. I never considered using it on brisket. Interesting thought.

MSS + beef is a pretty safe bet IMO. I'm another who never thought of putting it on brisket, but sounds like it might be worth a try. Actually, I'm thinking it would be really good on chuckies!

Back