THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been using a half full chimney lit on a burner to fire off my drum, but I'm a drumhead newbie and may not know what I'm doing ....

When I used a chimney on the drum I always got a face full of sparks and dumped it on one side of basket. No problem with weed burner. I use chimney set up for my Spicewine.

Attach a Handle to your basket, dump in chimney o' coals outside the Drum.
Wear Good Heavy Gloves and place it into Drum....No Problem:-D
attachment.php

Attach a Handle to your basket, dump in chimney o' coals outside the Drum.
Wear Good Heavy Gloves and place it into Drum....No Problem:-D
attachment.php

Yep. Made my handle out of safety wire. You just as easily use coat hanger wire. No need to be fancy its a UDS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my UDS is just about finished. All that is left to do is drill a few more holes (and fill with stainless steel bolts) to give me a choice grill heights, some handles on the sides, a thermometer and a decent fire basket and then she'll be ready to season.

It's been facinating reading through this thread. The top tip for me was using a stepped drill bit which was just so easy to use, even for me!

A big thank you to all that contributed to this thread which inspired me to build this over here in London, United Kingdom.

Here is a pic

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/Picture_003.jpg

It has been fun buildng but I'm sure it'll be better cooking and eating

thanks

shahsy

Somewhere in this thread is a few photos from a person who made a basket from a sheet of expanded wire...

the basket was done without welding and the sides folded up at angles.
was a very detailed post even showed how to cut the corners of the sheet to fold it up.
anybody know where the post is...I can't find it.

nice try...butnot what I was looking for...

there is a post somewhere where somebody took a flat sheet cut the corners and folded them up .....and had angle sides in the more of a shape of a box..not a circle.
You're looking for the build that the person used a wooden templet then folded the sides up right?

30 gallon vs 55 gallon?

I have searched but cannot find the answer. Is it possible to convert a 30 gallon drum to a UDS? Do the plans exist?

Thanks

Plans?

Drill some intake air holes in the bottom.
Drill some exhaust air holes in the lid.
Put in 3 bolts to hold a rack
Rig (or buy) up some kind of charcoal basket.

Then cook.

OPtions:
Valve on intake
Thermometers
Beer Bottle Opener.

My next one will be a 30g for a neighbor that just want to cook a pork butt or a brisket now and then. I'll try and use a Smokey Joe lid so I can put the rack at the tippy-top.

Plans?

Drill some intake air holes in the bottom.
Drill some exhaust air holes in the lid.
Put in 3 bolts to hold a rack
Rig (or buy) up some kind of charcoal basket.

Then cook.

OPtions:
Valve on intake
Thermometers
Beer Bottle Opener.

My next one will be a 30g for a neighbor that just want to cook a pork butt or a brisket now and then. I'll try and use a Smokey Joe lid so I can put the rack at the tippy-top.

yeah, I did some web searches for measurements. I think the bullet brinkmann may work. OK, if I can get this barrel off craigslist I'm all over it.

Will report back with results

With all the talk of diffusers I decided to build one for the heck of it and give it a try on Half Pint under two silverside's today.

The plate is stainless and sits on top of the fire basket and has several 3/4" holes in it. I chose 3/4 because I want the drippings to get through yet defuse a small amount of the heat.

amcyhf.jpg

igytk5.jpg

se1y.jpg

Back