THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aawa

Babbling Farker
After weeks and weeks of practicing traditional bbq, I decided this weekend I was going to do something different. After spending all Saturday on the beach, I decided that today would be island dinner.

Menu -
Phrasty's Jamaican Jerked Chicken Thighs (Brother Phrasty's recipe)
Lordes' Black Beans and Rice (My brother in law's Cuban mom's recipe)
Tropical Slaw (something I came up with)
Sweet Potato Fries (something I threw together)
Jamaican veggie turnovers (taken from the interwebs)

I didn't get a lot of prep shots because I was in a rush last night to get to bed and then today I was multitasking and wanted to get stuff done. I'll include recipes and whatever prep shots I have, and of course the final pictures.

First up was making Phrasty's Jamaican Jerked Marinade.
1 habanero (used this instead of a scotch bonnet)
6 green onions
2 tsp allspice berries
1tbsp fresh thyme
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1tsp brown sugar
1.5tsp salt
1 tsp ground black bepper.

Pureed it up in a food processor. Add 1/4 cup malt vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil and pulsed till combined
ACmV87L.jpg

Pulsed down
tYjQzRy.jpg

Needed more Thyme
HVCfzI4.jpg

Over the chicken.
gQpz5Uj.jpg

ovRpkJF.jpg

Soaked the black beans over night and first thing in the morning got them started.
1 green bell pepper
1 medium red onion diced
8 cloves of garlic
4 sprigs fresh cilantro.
Sautee them up throw in crock pot.
Add in 1 tbsp cumin
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp dried oregano water to cover beans. Salt and pepper to taste once cooked through

All done up and time to let them go in the pot
2dd8jQ0.jpg

Time to prep up some tropical slaw.
1/2 head of cabbage shredded
2 mangos diced
2 carrots shredded
1 medium red onion

Tropical Slaw dressing
4 tablespoons mayo
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
juice 1 lime
1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of celery seed
pinch of taragon
Whisk all these together and allow the tarragon and celery seed to meld into the liquid. Pour on veggie/fruit mixture and toss and keep in fridge.

Jamaican veggie turnovers
1 large sweet potato
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 tsp all spice
1 tsp tumeric
10oz frozen mixed veg (carrots, corn, peas)
15 once box pillsbury piecrust
S&P to taste

Boil sweet potatoes till fork tender. Sautee up garlic, onions, jalapeno, allspice, tumeric. Once translucent add in veggies and sweet potatoes. Take off heat and allow to cool. Cut out circles from pastry and fill, fold over empanada style and bake at 350.

Sweet potato fries -
2 sweet potatoes, julienned
Eyeballed cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, all spice.

Coat sweet potatos in oil and spices, throw in oven at 450 till tender.

Now final shots!
GIkkgiS.jpg

dQCqysX.jpg

veD6BGj.jpg

5voAAZJ.jpg

wbMW2ZV.jpg

M5epRoO.jpg

uy9ZUcA.jpg

j50jmX7.jpg

KDqRHVE.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Aawa, love that flavourful crust on the chicken thighs and they look nice and moist. Also love the idea of making the coleslaw tropical with the addition of mango and lime. I copied down the recipe you posted for Lordes' Black Beans, I've been wanting to make beans for years and still have not. These look delicious and I like the ingredients, especially the bay leaves (a nice surprise to me).

Looks outstanding. :clap2:

Could you tell much difference substituting the habenero for the Scotch bonnet? :becky:

CD

Aawa, love that flavourful crust on the chicken thighs and they look nice and moist. Also love the idea of making the coleslaw tropical with the addition of mango and lime. I copied down the recipe you posted for Lordes' Black Beans, I've been wanting to make beans for years and still have not. These look delicious and I like the ingredients, especially the bay leaves (a nice surprise to me).

The thighs I cooked till 175 and they were still super moist and tender. I didn't wipe off the excess jerked marinade, as I love being into the crust. It is like a flavor explosion!

For the Tropical Slaw, I was going to throw some fresh diced pineapple in there as well, but forgot to pick one up. The lime juice flavor shines through that day, but the next day the lime flavor becomes muted and the mango flavor comes through even more.

You will love the beans. They are nice and simple to make. I learned it from my brother in law's mom (who is 100% cuban) She learned it from her mom and from her mom. The measurements are estimates. I have always added a little bit extra salt, or cumin, or oregano, etc depending on the flavors. It all depends on amount of water, how potent your spices are etc. Just make sure to taste as they cook. Adjust your salt levels at the end, with the beans simmering away and water evaporating you don't want your beans to be tooo salty at the end.

Mighty fine plate of food there!! Mighty fine, indeed!!!

It is one of my favorite dinners to do. I use it as a treat to kind of escape to the islands for a few minutes while I eat. :D

Looks outstanding. :clap2:

Could you tell much difference substituting the habenero for the Scotch bonnet? :becky:

CD

Couldn't tell a difference really. But then again I didn't do my super hot jerked marinade where I used 3 scotchbonnets. My o-ring wasn't happy with me for a few days.

Man that is some outstanding groceries!!

Tanks MOn

You made me hawngry! :-D

Come on over next time and grab a plate!

great meal, i love some black beans so I will definitely try these. I also will try the jerk marinade. I found a more mild sauce that i love just wish i could replicate it. most jerk seasoning is too hot for me to enjoy the full depth of the flavors.

Ya Mon I'd hit that

Hurray beer mon!

great meal, i love some black beans so I will definitely try these. I also will try the jerk marinade. I found a more mild sauce that i love just wish i could replicate it. most jerk seasoning is too hot for me to enjoy the full depth of the flavors.

One way to turn down the spice is use 1 pepper and double everything else. I made the mistake one time and did 3 peppers and woah boy it was not fun for a few days :mad2: Now I use 1 pepper and depending on who is coming to dinner, will determine if i double everything else to turn down the spice or leave it regular.

Back