Venison on the Traeger

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been awhile since I tried to make jerky. My buddy asked me to try again and dropped off a bunch of venison. I plan on doing on the Traeger smoke setting but not sure.

Anyone made jerky on a Traeger before, and if so, what temp and for how long?

I'm also in need of a good marinade / recipe for the jerky. ..

Thanks,
Gerry

Been awhile since I tried to make jerky. My buddy asked me to try again and dropped off a bunch of venison. I plan on doing on the Traeger smoke setting but not sure.

Anyone made jerky on a Traeger before, and if so, what temp and for how long?

I'm also in need of a good marinade / recipe for the jerky. ..

Thanks,
Gerry

Making Jerky is really easy and you don't need a dehydrator to make great jerky, a low temp in the smoker is all that you need, that way

you get smoked meat flavor without having to use the dreadful liquid smoke..

I use a whole eye of round beef roast, trim of what little fat is there and run it through the deli slicer. Marinate and cure overnight

then lay on racks to dry until tacky. I smoke for 2 hours with cold smoke then raise the smoker to 110 until it is dry.

The finished product should not be brittle and break when folded in half. When folding it should create a distinct white line where it was

folded without breaking in half

Mild Jerky
This recipe is for 5 pounds venison / beef.

1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (I use 1/2 tsp)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of Tender Quick®

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison / beef.
Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.

Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

=======================================

Cracked Black Pepper Jerky
cracked black pepper is sprinkled on before drying. Coarse ground black pepper can be used in place of cracked pepper.

1 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1 teaspoons of seasoned salt
3 tablespoons of fine grind black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick® curing mix

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.
Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.
Season with cracked or coarse ground black pepper if desired before smoking.
Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

Hot and Sweet Jerky
makes enough marinade for five pounds of sliced venison / beef.

1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.

Honey Barbecue Jerky

2 tsp coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 cup Barbecue sauce

Back