拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
hey... I've used it all last season (except King of the Smoker) it works great, and I don't get a dime for the sales.. so how's that for feedback? :) What detailed questions do you have that you'd want feedback for?

besides, really, it's only $9.99.. how many times have we all bought a rub or sauce for around that much just to try, and when we didn't like it, oh well, no big loss. Not much of a gamble here.
No specific questions, just wondering what users think of it.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

If it ever goes android, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Thanks for the heads up!

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18,5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem" http://www.toosaucedtopork.com
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

Looks pretty cool. I don't have the CyberQ, but still, nice work...

LSG 24"x30"x36" Vertical Upright Smoker with Warming Oven - *** In queue to be built ***
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermapen - Maverick ET-733

For info on any mods I have done to my WSM, please see this post.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #19
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Looks nice. Will try out this weekend
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
Hugo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
If it ever goes android, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Thanks for the heads up!
^^ That! Looks great!! No iPad though

Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #21
Ron_L

Quote:

besides, really, it's only $9.99.. how many times have we all bought a rub or sauce for around that much just to try, and when we didn't like it, oh well, no big loss. Not much of a gamble here.
Yeah, true, but in a world where most apps are a buck or two, $9.99 seems expensive.

But, if it works as advertised, it looks to be worth it. I like the interface and features and will probably give it a shot, but I do have a question...

Does it require a connection to the Internet or will it work either over a local wifi network (my own access point in the trailer) or in ad hoc mode (iPad and CyberQ only)?

Thanks!

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #22
tommye1078
Knows what a fatty is.

Bought. Will let you know what I think once I try it.
tommye1078 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #23
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I hate to admit it, but when Mark (the creator) of the program first told me he was working on it, and had a rough prototype, I went ahead and bought the cyberQ, Router, and Ipad. Yup, it was a high dollar gamble, but paid off. I was fortunate that he listed and applied my ideas to that program. I wanted it to be not only very user friendly to the competitor, but actually provide valuable information.

Also, another neat feature, is that the pit temp on the Ipad is in color green when it is at setpoint. if it's out of range, it'll show up either blue or red. So, the nice thing about that, is you can just half-way wake up to look at it, squint, and just see that it's green and you know you're good. you don't need to fully look at the numbers to figure your pit temp. (I'm lazy, like my sleep, love this feature)
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #24
Ron_L

Quote:
Also, another neat feature, is that the pit temp on the Ipad is in color green when it is at setpoint. if it's out of range, it'll show up either blue or red. So, the nice thing about that, is you can just half-way wake up to look at it, squint, and just see that it's green and you know you're good. you don't need to fully look at the numbers to figure your pit temp. (I'm lazy, like my sleep, love this feature)
I like stuff like that, too. If I can look at it and quickly tell that things are going well, that's what I need most of the time.

One note for Mark... the link on iTunes for Cybercook Support goes to a web site that doesn't appear to have anything related to Cybercook. At least I couldn't find anything.

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #25
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Yeah, true, but in a world where most apps are a buck or two, $9.99 seems expensive.

But, if it works as advertised, it looks to be worth it. I like the interface and features and will probably give it a shot, but I do have a question...

Does it require a connection to the Internet or will it work either over a local wifi network (my own access point in the trailer) or in ad hoc mode (iPad and CyberQ only)?

Thanks!
I works over it's own wifi on the cyberQ. One MAJOR FLAW with the cyberQ, is that it hardly wants to transmit when it's close to metal. Yes, I know, all pits are made of metal, and this thing needs to be close to the pit out of nature of a guru, so I hope Guru gets this issue worked out. I have my smoker outside, and I have my Ipad in the fifth wheel, so since there's a ton of interference to the guru->Ipad, I have a router in my trailer, and my I.T. guy set it up for me.

I've heard that Guru has made some improvements in the cyberQ over the past year, but I don't know what those are. Basically, if you can get the CyberQ to connect to the Ipad, then the cybercook program will work.

$9.99 may be a little high compared to the common priced app, but really.. games, etc. run $4.99 on up, and this tool is actually really useful compared to a lot of apps out there that are similarly priced just for entertainment. I first told him he should charge $20, but he didn't want to. Knowing what I know now, I'd pay $20 for it. Also, I know he has put in a lot of time programming this app, and putting up with all my suggestions .. $9.99 is more than fair in my opinion.

Just in the nature of things, there will be a few people who won't like it for whatever reason, but the ones that do, will find it's 10 bucks well spent.

I am looking forward to hear what people think. If you are still on the fence about it, I will be using it all this season too, so if you see me out there, ask me about the program and I'll show it to you.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #26
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Ron_L, thanks. I'll ask Mark about it..

One note for Mark... the link on iTunes for Cybercook Support goes to a web site that doesn't appear to have anything related to Cybercook. At least I couldn't find anything.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #27
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

StokeMaster is only $1.99.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 22"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #28
Ron_L

Quote:
I works over it's own wifi on the cyberQ. One MAJOR FLAW with the cyberQ, is that it hardly wants to transmit when it's close to metal. Yes, I know, all pits are made of metal, and this thing needs to be close to the pit out of nature of a guru, so I hope Guru gets this issue worked out. I have my smoker outside, and I have my Ipad in the fifth wheel, so since there's a ton of interference to the guru->Ipad, I have a router in my trailer, and my I.T. guy set it up for me.

I've heard that Guru has made some improvements in the cyberQ over the past year, but I don't know what those are. Basically, if you can get the CyberQ to connect to the Ipad, then the cybercook program will work.
Thanks... That's perfect. Some of the other CyberQ apps out there only work with a live internet connection, which as you know, isn't possible at most competitions.

I've noticed that issue with my CyberQ, too, but unless the Guru folks are willing to replace mine with one that is updated I'll probably put an access point in the trailer. I have a spare Linksys laying around upstairs.

The Naked Fatty!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #29
FlyingHog
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default CyberCook Features

Quote:

Hi Ron_L,

I'm Mark, the developer of CyberCook. I will be updating my website this weekend to include CyberCook. In the meantime, here are links for the User Guide and a Features Guide that describe the main features of the app.

I am working on an iPhone version right now and it should be available in three to four weeks.

Features Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm9fpvg7nr...20Features.pdf

User Guide -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgxh4wb0do...%201.0.doc.pdf
FlyingHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #30
FlyingHog
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:

Ron_L, my website has been updated with CyberCook. There are a couple of files that can be viewed/downloaded with detailed information on the application.

I plan on adding a video demonstration of use and functionality of the app next week.

Mark (Flying Hog)

Last edited by FlyingHog; 03-07-2014 at 07:57 PM..
FlyingHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guru. cyberq