ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Humphrey Competition Smokers And Accessories

Notices

Humphrey Competition Smokers And Accessories Welcome to your premiere Brethren dealer for Humphrey Smokers and accessories. Humphrey Smokers are made of the finest quality materials and good old Maine Craftsmanship. We offer a diverse line of units or can custom make on to your specifications. Commercial,residential ,backyarder or competitor we can do it all. Start your next BBQ experience here. Call or PM me for complete details,pricing and ordering. Kevin Rundell 518 488 1015

Unread 05-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Why I Bought a Humphrey's Smoker...

My reason for buying a Humphrey's DownEast Beast Smoker.

I often hear people talking about getting bigger and better things just so they can have the best or the biggest. I wanted a new smoker a few years now, but I held off because I wanted to separate what I needed vs. what I wanted. Somewhere in the middle was my compromise which met all of my criteria for my needs with a little extra room for my wants. My reasons were not to show off a bigger and better cooker, but for only practicality of my own use.

While I no longer cook in competitions, I cook for local for Churches, American Legions, and VFW's without charge. Being
in competitions many years ago I do realize the importance of an efficient dependable smoker. With this in mind, I put my needs
as the first priority in selecting a new cooker.

My first need was a well insulated fuel efficient charcoal smoker, the cost of wood or propane on a large cooker can be a real hole in the pocket when it comes to fuel expenses.

My second need was the ability to smoke sausage as I make 20 - 30 pounds at a time, I needed ample height to hang sausage to maximize my capacity in the smoker.

My third need was to be able to do at least 8 - 10 or more pork butts for the American Legion, local churches, or VFW cookouts.

My last need was to be able to put full size and half size steam table pans into the cooker for other uses besides meats.

My want was to have a sturdy and quality constructed unit with a little extra room for more cooking area.

I first looked at a "Stumps" smoker, priced way out of my range. I abandoned my idea but later came across the "Backwoods" line of smokers, again pricey. "Backwoods" has a model called the "Competitor", and while this did fit my needs, it was still more than I was willing to part with. On top of the selling prices were crating and shipping costs.

This winter I found a company in Maine that rebuilds smokers and they were going to make their own line of smokers in the fashion of the reverse-flow vertical design. The different models can be found here.. http://www.mainemachining.com/store/...t=HumphreyPits

I looked at their "Battlebox", a competition smoker for obviously those who compete on a national or regional level. Although the unit is portable it did not meet my criteria. I then looked at the "Down East Beast" which met all of my needs and wants. I went for the unit sight unseen because I had total trust in Kevin, the salesman. He didn't push, he didn't try to up-sell me, he simply listened to what I wanted and then he suggested the unit that met my basic needs.

The unit arrived and it was like having a new child. I have had it for almost a month and I am still more than happy with all aspects of the cooker. It is constructed with superior quality and construction. It is also built with high temperature, 1200 degree, food safe insulation for maximum fuel efficiency.

The unit comes complete with 4 shelves, but I purchased mine with 8 so I can do a multitude of ribs if needed. The water pan is actually a heavy duty full size hotel pan and holds about 3 gallons of water. The shelving is adjustable "slide-in" / "slide-out" for individual spacing requirements. A 5 pound load of charcoal will last me 8(+) hours. The large water pan allows extreme uniformity of heat inside the smoker and eliminates the need for me to foil meats to keep them from drying out. Every cook has provided a full flavored smoked meat with a perfect bark with luscious, moist, tender meat.

My final consideration on purchasing this smoker was the fact that I only wanted to buy one last smoker ever, it met my needs, had most my wants, but most of all, it is made with superior construction and quality. At my age there isn't much left to enjoy as a craft or hobby, and smoking meat and sausage is something I really enjoy, the bonus side of this is that many others also enjoy the product of my hobby. The new smoker brings a smile to my face every time I use it.

With the purchase of a Guru, you can start the smoker, load the meat and walk away, it will tend itself. Because of the size I need only to check the water pan at the 6 - 8 hour mark and I can reload any charcoal (if needed) if it is burning too quickly. (there are vast differences in the burn of charcoals)

While smoking is a lot of work, the guru takes the walking and checking out of the equation, not waking up wondering if the cooker is at proper temp. You can see the pit temp and the internal meat temp without touching the smoker. It also gives you the ability to get a full nights sleep, feeling rested at the cookout so you can enjoy yourself too, not hoping that it will end soon so you can take a nap and get some lost sleep (LOL).

Last edited by IamMadMan; 05-05-2013 at 07:14 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice write up on how you came to this choice.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Landarc,

Thanks, I can't put into words how satisfied I am with the performance and construction of this smoker.

Every now and then a star is discovered, and this is one of them.

I've used it for a month now, and although there was a small learning curve using it the first two cooks to dial it in to my cooking temperature, it was a pleasant experience with full phone support from Kevin.
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Thanks bud for the great right up and looks like that cooker found a great home you certainly have a great passion for good Q
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Great review Congrats on the new smoker! !
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice review! Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of the smaller models sometime this summer, and this may have pushed me over the edge! Sure sounds like a great company and a great smoker too.

-18.5" WSM (8/14/10)
-22.5" WSM (CL score 7/7/13)
- Large BGE (CL score 8/7/11)
- Primo Oval XL (CL score 4/14/13)
- Kenmore Gasser -- RIP 5/31/12
tasterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasterner View Post
Nice review! Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of the smaller models sometime this summer, and this may have pushed me over the edge! Sure sounds like a great company and a great smoker too.
Ted,

I can only suggest this brand by using facts from personal experience with it. I had considered a "Backwoods" unit because I have a friend who had one. While some people may think this is a clone of some of those smokers, I say they are wrong. My personal opinion is that mine is superior to the other brand mentioned, at a much lesser price.

I can also tell you that I do not like to spend anymore than I have too, and the quality/value of this smoker is far above the price I paid.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
chadillac
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I'm expecting my Pint to arrive today - can't wait! What did you do to season it?
chadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

We just put some ribs (with rub) in and cooked them...by the way they were pretty tasty for an unseasoned unit.
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
deguerre

Thanks for the write up! I'm really liking the Half-Pint...
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Thanks for the write up! I'm really liking the Half-Pint...
Its a cool little unit I will have a demo unit at some point to show around.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac View Post
I'm expecting my Pint to arrive today - can't wait! What did you do to season it?
I sprayed it with dollar store spray (similar to "Pam" or "Crisco"), left the water pan out and cranked the heat to 400 and held it there about 20 minutes and then throttled down. I still re-season the shelves after a heavy cleaning.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I enjoyed reading your reasoning. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Default Why I Bought a Humphrey's Smoker... REVISITED AFTER 1 YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
My reason for buying a Humphrey's DownEast Beast Smoker.

After 1 year of owning the DownEast Beast I am still just as thrilled to use the smoker as I was the first time I used it.

I did have to learn to control the temperature differently from the operation of my previous smoker but that would be standard procedure with any new smoker.

Owning the Down East Beast is still like having a new child. I have had it for almost a year and I am still more than happy with all aspects of the cooker. It is still a joy to use and the simplicity of operating it keeps me smiling.

In fact, I often feel like it is a custom built smoker that was made just to suit my individual needs, I know it wasn't built just for me but it sure seems that way. Hanging sausage in the unit for cold smoking couldn't be easier. When I am ready to bring to a finishing temperature, I just add a chimney of glowing charcoal and some more wood. Easy - Peasy

It is constructed with superior quality and construction. It is also built with high temperature, 1200 degree, food safe insulation for maximum fuel efficiency. When cooking at 240°, I can get about a 12 hour burn out of an 8 pound bag of lump charcoal.

The unit came with 4 shelves, but I purchased mine with 8, I am glad I did. I can do a multitude of ribs if needed. The shelving is adjustable "slide-in" / "slide-out" for individual spacing requirements. I store the extra shelves in the top shelf brackets when I am not using them during my cooks.

The water pan is actually a heavy duty full size hotel pan and holds about 3 gallons of water. The large water pan allows extreme uniformity of heat inside the smoker and eliminates the need for me to foil meats to keep them from drying out. Every cook has provided a full flavored smoked meat with a perfect bark with luscious, moist, tender meat.

The water pan is located just below the exhaust vent in the cooking chamber. There is no water or moisture build up inside the cooking chamber and the evaporated water exits with the smoke.

Although the water pan also catches the drippings it is easy to clean while it is still warm. But I have started using a full size foil pan just above the water pan to catch all the drippings. This way there is no clean up of the water pan except to dump the remaining water out.

The only thing that has changed is that I have both freezers full because i am cooking so much.

The new smoker still brings a smile to my face every time I use it. I enjoy a good nights sleep and feeling well rested while I enjoy myself being surrounded with family and friends.

Thanks Kevin, Chad, and Nicole for all of of your assistance in purchasing and building this great smoker...
My dream cooker has become a reality...

Humphrey's also have a new website http://www.humphreysbbq.squarespace.com/

If you have questions I would suggest contacting Kevin by clicking-> HERE he can assist you and answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by Ron_L; 02-04-2014 at 08:42 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all the kind words glad she is all you hoped It would be. Just an FYI the link Posted to contact me no longer works just PM me here for orderer info.