THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
So Ive got this London Broil, or Top Round to be accurate, that I need to cook either tomorrow or Weds.

Ive done a search and it seems the consensus is to grill it. Some have said to smoke it a little first then finish on the grill.

I'll have my garlic going in the 'Dera tomorrow so I may put the meat on a lower rack to grab some smoke.

What is your favorite marinade for London Broil? How about a rub?

Oh and Im doing a fatty tomorrow to crumble up in some Zatterans dirty rice. I wont be fit for human interaction on Weds. :eek: Gas mod

I do london broils VERY often. Marinade? well, i usually dont, but i brush them with some kitchen bouquet and then add whatever rub rubs me at the time. If I do marinade, teriyaki and Montreal steak seasoning is a family favorite.

My favorite, I like them cooked in the hot spot.. on the hotter side of 350-400.. and i dont move to the grill to char. In the bandera I used to do them on the bottom shelf without the water pan and a pretty big fire. As soon as they hit 135, i pull it, rest for 5-10 mins and slice. they take on a nivce red color on the outside, and have a nice wood smoke flavor.

But... the family likes a finish over the coals after a stint in the chamber, and sometimes just plain old grilled. I prefer, high and fast indirect.

sku6116.jpg

I've been using Cowtown's Steak Seasoning and Worchestersesstershire sauce on London Broils lately. Very happy with it.

I love Top Round London Broils on the grill and high heat is a must. Sear it on both sides, let it rest and the inside'll be just nice. Slice thin and on the bias and you'll be good to go. The only prep I ever do is to rub 'em down with a little vegetable oil, salt and fresh (coarse) ground pepper and that's it. I guess you could rub 'em down with some crushed garlic too if you wanted to add a little something but I usually serve it up with galic mashed, so I don't want to overdo it. Another nice side for London Broil is baked taters a la Kirk. That is to say, split a nice sized Russet (but not all the way thorugh), pry it open a bit and then rub it inside and out with butter, salt and pepper. Then, slip some slivered onion and garlic into the slit, wrap in foil and throw it on the fire until it's tender (turn it once or twice during cooking). The tater skin will brown beautifully inside the foil over good heat since it's soaked in butter and the garlic and onion will infuse the potato with tremendous flavor. Try it, it does not suck. I guarantee it.

when i was a kid, mom used to marinade london broil in red wine with a little oil, wine vinegar and mint leaves. Then we would rubber band a bunch of stems of mint leaves together and use those same ingriedents(as the marinade) as a mop to mop it as it cooked. (dont use the same stuff obviously unless u boil it.)

She would slice it thin and serve it with sauteed spinach, and garlic mashed taters. I would take a slice, roll some spinach in the slice, fork it, and dip it in the mashed taters.

BBQchef33 said:
when i was a kid, mom used to marinade london broil in red wine with a little oil, wine vinegar and mint leaves. Then we would rubber band a bunch of stems mint leaves together and use those same ingriedents as a mop to mop on the marinade as it cooked. (dont use the same stuff obviously unless u boil it.)

She would slice it thin and serve it with sauteed spinach, and garlic mashed taters. I would take a slice, roll some spinach in the slice, fork it, and dip it in the mashed taters.

Fark....Now I'm starving. I gotta drag my butt out of bed and find something to eat. I know I got nothing in the fridge cause we ate all the leftovers for dinner. Willie B's aint open either.

London Broil is good no matter what u do with it. Just cook it.

I love London Broil. I wet it with a Tbsp. of Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, 1/2 doz. drops of Dale's Seasoning, and a splas or two of Worsterschire. Then I season it with fresh ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, chopped garlic, Italian seasoning, and a dash of Cayenne. I cook it on the Weber, first I sear it for a 2 minutes on each side over very hot coals then I move the coal baskets to the side and add a chunk of cherry wood and let it smoke for 10 minutes. I let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Nice seasoned crust on the outside and juicy red rare on the inside. I also always sautee' a bunch of mushrooms in garllic butter to pour over the sliced meat on the platter. Sop up all the juices and butter with hard crust Italian bread.

Brauma said:
What is your favorite marinade for London Broil? How about a rub?

No particular recipe, but I like london broiled Marinated in Teriyaki overnight, and then grilled. IMO, teriyaka and a rare LB is the way to go.

Sounds great guys, thanks.

Im going to cook the LB (top round) tomorrow. Too much going on this afternoon - wife working late and son's soccer practice.

This will give me a chance to go get some more teriaki and do the marinade. I think I'll smoke it a while first then finish on the Weber.

Note - Ive got the Dera going hot right now. Im giving it a much needed cleaning. After it dries I'll put some more garlic in. Man I love the smell of smoked garlic!!!!

I like to marinate them in a solution of 50% soysauce & 50% water with a large handful of dehydrated onions. Let it soak for at least a day if not two or three. Grill and serve rare.

I like to grill my London B. with Kosher Salt and butchers pepper to med.
rare. Then I slice it thin and serve it on garlic bread.

It's simple quick and the family loves it.

I'm trying to think where I had seen an interesting way to do LB. I don't remember all the details, but it had to do with the LB in plastic and a warm-water bath followed by high-heat grilling. I know; let the flaming begin :)

i remember one where you wrap it in wet newspaper, coat it with mustard and salt and throw in right on the hot coals.

yuup, seriously..

Brauma said:
You like everything rare. Do you ever cook anything to medium? For yourself I mean.
Ummmmmmmmm............................................no.
Must be some caveman ancestry.
Raw salmon, raw tuna, raw steak & Cold plate.

RichardF said:
I'm trying to think where I had seen an interesting way to do LB. I don't remember all the details, but it had to do with the LB in plastic and a warm-water bath followed by high-heat grilling. I know; let the flaming begin :)

Cooks Illustrated did a write up on it specifically with London broil in mind. They recommended salting it, bagging it and submerge it in 100° water for 1 hour.

7a2c3de0.jpg

I like to use vacuum seal bags, and add any dry seasoning or rub. During the "hot tub" time the meat rises to 75° or 80°, so when you cook it it only needs to rise about 50°. The cook time is short. The doneness across the cross section is very even.

9b42260f.jpg

This is my favorite way to do steaks (of all kinds). Joe will probably dig the doneness on this hot tubbed tri-tip :-D I have done this on thick loin pork chops with good success too.

ok thirdeye...

why u keep doing that to me?

here we go again.. wheres the fridge. ??

bbqjoe said:
Ummmmmmmmm............................................no.
Must be some caveman ancestry.
Raw salmon, raw tuna, raw steak & Cold plate.

I have caveman ancestry too. One look at my back is all the proof you need. But I like my meat farkin COOKED!!

That just aint right Joe. One of these days you're gonna eat a parasite or something.:eek: :biggrin:

Well I must be livin right (guess I need to buy a lotto ticket) last night they were calling for rain starting around 1. Chit!. Thats when I was going to start the LB. Now they're saying the rain wont start till 8. Cool! Lookin forward to it.

Man I really need an outdoor covered Qbana like Zilla's. One day...

Back