THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K

Kingz

I got myself a trout from someone at work.
What do I do with it?

DSC01551aC.jpg

Plank it!!!, (sorry I couldn't resist).....Listen, the main reason folks hate trout are the bones. Not just the rib bones, but the pin bones. If it's whole and cooked perfectly, and you know your way around one, they are very enjoyable.​

DSC04474d.jpg

If not, they take a little prep and you will have an outstanding fillet. So, fillet them out, but keep the skin on. Take the rib bones off first. Then pluck out the pin bones with some needle nosed pliers. Keep feeling for them, rubbing from head to tail. There will be close to 30 of them. Sometimes you can grab 2 or 3 at once. Then trim off any traces of the small fins or fat along the back bone.​

DSC05878JPGtext.jpg

DSC05883JPGtext.jpg

DSC05882JPGtext.jpg

DSC05888JPGtest.jpg

Then season them with whatever, spray some oil on the skin and grill over a smaller fire, or a raised grate set-up. I like those mesh fish tray things. One of these has some seasoning, lemon and fresh dill. The other one was slathered with a tablespoon or so of tartar sauce, and has fresh dill. Grill them until 125° internal. If you have skinless fillets, cook them on a piece of oiled tin foil.​

DSC05891JPGa.jpg

DSC05907JPGa.jpg

I smoked some trout last summer at game cook that with cherry and it got alot of compliments from people who like to catch them but not so much to eat them. Another guy seasoned them, I don't know exactly what he used but that was the best trout I have ever ate.

You have just given everyone a wonderful lesson in "Trout". Every fisherman should see this & we'd have many fewer wasted trout that never get cooked. Great Job! Honestly...make a how to video & sell it at the sporting good stores - or just YouTube.

Wow guys.
I wish I knew about this wealth of info years ago.
Thanks.

Now I gota start a fire.

Back