THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
After watching Bobby Flay go up against the inventor of the La Cjaja China box i have been wanting to try it myself. Stopped by brother SIDE's house last night to borrow the box. Took 2 boneless butts and marinated overnight in mojo and adobo seasoning. Laid them out layered some ham and bacon, rolled and tied up. Brown sugar and Malta liquid on the out side and into the box. The manufacturer recommend 1 hour then flip and 1 more hour. I am going by SIDE's recommendation of 1 1/2 hours skin side down, flip then 2-3 hours skin side up scoring the skin. Stay tuned

Last edited:
Nice job Sled !! ...

Two questions :

1) Where are the guava shells the recipe calls for ? That's the most important ingredient to the recipe.

2)How did you marinate overnight if the Mojo didn't get home til 4AM :biggrin: ?

Cool! Glad it worked out. Up next is a whole lamb!!!!

Looks good from here... I thought that since it was stuffed a bit, that it was supposed to be sliced. I guess either way it would taste real good.

Did the extra time in the box work out like Clint suggested ?

Looks good from here... I thought that since it was stuffed a bit, that it was supposed to be sliced. I guess either way it would taste real good.

Did the extra time in the box work out like Clint suggested ?

I think the extra half hour at the beginning messed it up a bit due to all of the brown sugar in the marinade. Seemed to have burnt a bit. But the purpose was to get closer to a "fall apart temp" for shoulder which the original recipe doesn't do.

It is, as you said, meant for slicing and you'd get that with the regular recipe. I prefer something a bit more "pulled" and it looks like it worked?

He ate too much, I think. Bet that ham was tasty.

We lost power for a good part of the night. Not sure about the other LI brethren.

Back