THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus
Premium

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tim
Mrs Kapn and I were talking about bucket lists the other day. She was amused that my short list was all cooking related :redface:

I have been fortunate to have met and exceeded my career and travel goals.
Did the RV thing and the Boating thing successfully.
Did "pretty well" (but far from perfect) with my family stuff.

So, cooking is the last frontier for me :grin::grin:

Here's a few:

Cook Wagyu Prime Rib and Ribeye Steaks (they are on order--check that one off shortly) :-D

Cooking perfect diver scallops and Risotto (Gordon Ramsey is my benchmark for these).

Perfecting my "smoked nuts" process.

Perfecting my Ceviche--close now but still needs fine tuning.

Cooking the perfect Pork Chop. Modern pork is so bland that even a good brine does not produce flavorful, moist chops like I grew up with.
Found a source for Berkshire--maybe that will help.

Making "edible Pig Candy"!! Don't laugh. Something so simple has totally alluded me---frustrating! :redface:

Perfecting my Smoked Tomato Soup recipe. This one is "so close" that when I hit it right I am gonna post a thread chock full of pride.

Am I the only one with a "Cooking Bucket List" ??

TIM

Scratch lasagna ala bibabyte.

Scratch pizza.

The perfect Cabrito!

Not really a cooking thing, but a sourcing thing. Where in the heck is all the good linguica?

Guess I'll have to add homemade sausage to the list.

Mine is pretty simple, a brisket done right.

I am surprised that this was not the first thing listed due to all the hype on the WWW.
To me, this is one of the easiest meats to cook if you K.I.S.S.
Folks try to make it into "Black Magic" or a mystery and it is not.
The vast majority of the problems are due to undercooking--just let it ride and it will be fine.
This should be an easy one to take off your list--I hope :-D

The perfect Cabrito!

Guess I'll have to add homemade sausage to the list.

Cabrito sent me to Google. Sounds interesting.

I did quite a bit of sausage, but since Mrs Kapn does not eat it......OH Well :-D

TIM

I've make some NEAR perfect brisket but have yet to reach brisket Nirvana.

Some more on my list:

THE Perfect homemade pork rub.
Cedar planked salmon (soon)

Mine is really rudimentary.

BBQ Sauce
Great Rub

The problem is that I have tried so many different recipies I don't know what I am actually looking for exactly anymore. I am really looking for a recipie that makes me go WOW!

Oh well, I figure I'll get that perfect xxinsert choice of meat herexx when i figure out the basics first.

I'm with you Capn, I've had a great time,traveled all over the world for work and fun, enjoyed a lot of things. I only real hobby I have left is cooking. I have a list but in includes those girls from the Hardee's commercial, probably all I could do it watch.......again!

Sashimi is a piece of cake Buccs, there are thousands of sushi masters here in the U.S. to teach you in a matter of hours. :loco:

I don't have a bucket list, never thought to have one. I sort of just try and do whatever comes to mind. Perhaps I should have one. The perfect ceviche, like the ones I have had at a couple of Peruvian places, that would be a good start (I don't evne like fish, but, that ceviche was good)

Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Okay, seriously, my food bucket list could take a long time to write up.

A brisket that jiggles like Aaron Franklin's would be on that list, in the BBQ genre.

A paella like the ones I had in Spain is another.

Pizza as good as what I ate in Napoli.

Perfect French fries.

Duck gumbo like my friend's mom made back in high school.

A real Philadelphia hoagie.

Awesome crab cakes.

Coq au vin like I had with my friends at this hole-in-the-wall dive in Paris, served family style in a big iron pot.

Haddock and chips like they serve at the Irish Rover in Frisco, Texas, or at many places in London.

I could go on all night.

CD

All I want is to make chicken as good as El Pollo Loco. Is that so wrong? :tsk:

For the life of me, I can't replicate their citrus based marinade.

Fun thread.

Things I've accomplished:
-Brewing Beer
-Corned Beef
-Scratch cakes/doughs/etc
-Smoking in general

Yet to do:
-GOOD fried chicken
-Scratch Pasta
-Bacon
-Sausage
-Learn to butcher EVERY animal properly