Venison hind quarter w/PRON

Cherrywood

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've made a lot of summer sausage, jerky, ground & formed bacon, etc... over the years but haven't smoked much for venison cuts. I bagged a nice little doe a couple weeks ago and decided to give it a whirl with a whole hind quarter.

I marinaded it with a whole bottle of Stubb's beef marinade with a cup of brown sugar for 48 hours then added a bacon wrap on top with an extra dusting of brown sugar and black pepper.

She went on the UDS at around 300 deg until the IT was 165. I foiled it with some butter and a splash of beef broth to keep it from drying out too much. I took it off at 205 and rested it for 4 hours prior to pulling. I tossed it with the "pan" juices and a bit of Blues Hog prior to serving. Darn good stuff but next time I'm going to take it off at @ 145 and slice it. My nibble at 165 was ungodly good.
IMG_2530[1].jpg

at 165
IMG_2531[1].jpg
IMG_2539[1].jpg

Where does the line start????

I cooked one to 150 int the other day it was nice and tender!

Well now that you shared that...:clap:

I may start hunting again.:shock:

Very nice.:thumb:

Heck ya. Love venison!!! Got a new Sako A7 for my birthday. Been seeing plenty of deer in our alfalfa field. Going to have to try this, never done a whole hindquarter. That looks great.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm learning as I go but I'm very happy with the first attempt.

Question:

So next time are you going to strictly take it off at 145 and slice and serve?

No foil and no resting?

Deer season with guns starts soon here!

I got a fresh one in the sink looks like it's going in the freezer whole for a few weeks. Can't wait to try this

Back