fried turkey question

U

ulikadawgs

a guy at work wants me to fry him a turkey. This is no problem since I will be doing some anyway. If he is going to eat it the next day what is the best thing to do? Should I wrap in foil and put it in a cooler? Let it cool and put it in the fridge? Any thoughts?

Since you are most likely not going to hold it at 140 degrees or above from the time it comes out of the fryer until it is served, you really don't have much choice but to cool it, then chill it.

The real question is how do you reheat to preserve the unique quality of a fried turkey? I may have said thiis before, but in my opinion, most of what makes a fried bird special is lost when you have to store it to serve later-the xtra crisp skin, and the juiceness. I would reheat it in a 300 degree oven just till it reached serving temp. This should re-crisp the skin without drying out the meat(too much)

Having fried a few, i do not think day-old, re-heated fried turkey is what you want to serve on Thanksgiving. It's not too good.

agreed... reaheating a fried bird is gonna be yuk... no good for t-day.. The meat got dry and leathery and I only brought the temps back up to 130+

I tend to agree with the others about the taste of a fried turkey the same day. No method of reheating will recapture that.

However, if I had to save it for the next day, I would put it in a half pan and cover with foil before I stuck it in the fridge. The next day I would make up some chicken broth to put in the bottom of the pan and bring it back up to temp low and slow in the oven. Make sure the foil stays on tight and you shouldn't dry it out too bad.

Back