Vegan BBQ

Res6cue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need a little help. Doing a family BBQ next weekend. The menu will include pulled beef BBQ and baby backs, but I just found out that a few vegitarians will be attending. Can anyone suggest or have some meatless grillin recipes? Thanks in advance.

Vegetarian or vegan? That makes a huge difference.

Grilled tofu? Ewile made tofu for his wife just this week. Maybe he'll share his recipe.

Otherwise how about portobello pizzas? Take the portobellos and clean out the gills and brush with olive oil and grill for a couple of minutes gill side down. Then flip them over and add what ever toppings you want and grill until done.

You can also make vegetarian ABTs (assuming that cheese is OK).

Need a little help. Doing a family BBQ next weekend. The menu will include pulled beef BBQ and baby backs, but I just found out that a few vegitarians will be attending. Can anyone suggest or have some meatless grillin recipes? Thanks in advance.

I like making a big pile (cut up and chuncked to the size you want)of bell peppers, onoins, zucchini, yellow squash, and button shrooms. Marinate them then in EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper, or whatever you like, then smoke/ grill with smoke in one of those non-stick grilling baskets. Or you can skewer them. If skewered, add small tomatoes portobello shrooms, or again, whatever you like.

The pizza is a great idea. The one I just did had portobellos on it. Can also do pizza w/out cheese. You can also smoke/grill whole portobellos and serve on a bun. Brush with EVOO and S & P. The vegetable kabobs is another great idea.

How about grilled tofu with spinach or grilled aspearagus with lemon and garlic. BBQed okra? Red beans and rice, Artichokes maybe. Thats about all I can think of

Vegetarian or vegan? That makes a huge difference.

Yup, Ronnie is right! Big difference.

I wouldn't even attempt vegan. They'd get a bag of lettuce from Costco. Just to many "rules" for vegan. They might not even want their food cooked on something that's touched real food.

Vegetarian, just about any grilled veggies will work. The portobello mushroom is a great idea.

Thanks a lot. All I had come up with is the Shroom burgers. Now Y'all got me thinking about covering a slab of tofu with a rub and tossing it on the smoker. Since tofu has no flavor it is not like it can taste bad.

no judgment here, just observation, some vegans or vegetarians will not eat foods grilled on a bbq along side meat or grilled on a grill that has cooked meat before, separate prepared, single serving entrees, work well and make your guests feel welcomed , also it gives you a professional reputation,

no judgment here, just observation, some vegans or vegetarians will not eat foods grilled on a bbq along side meat or grilled on a grill that has cooked meat before, separate prepared, single serving entrees, work well and make your guests feel welcomed , also it gives you a professional reputation,

Excellent point - Doesn't help much if the smoking mushroom is under the dripping butt :eek:

I like my vegans pretty much the same way I do whole hogs... Butterflied, a nice dry rub inside and out, and 12-14 hours low and slow. The only thing I would do different is to purge them like crawfish to get rid of the granola taste. :)

I suggest corn flakes and making them sit at the kid's table:lol:

LMAO!! Why punish the poor kids that way, though!:-D

I like my vegans pretty much the same way I do whole hogs... Butterflied, a nice dry rub inside and out, and 12-14 hours low and slow. The only thing I would do different is to purge them like crawfish to get rid of the granola taste. :)

That's classic! Come to think of it, I don't think I even know any vegans.

Can they eat seafood? Dairy?

If not, here are a few ideas for starters:
  1. Vegetarian Mushroom Caps stuffed with
    • potatoes, onions, tofu cheese (or dairy cheese)
    • mushrooms, onions, bread crumbs & olive oil
    • other?
  2. Smoked Vegetarian Meatloaf
    • e.g., Cooked Bulghur wheat, brown rice, chopped mushrooms, onions, tofu, spinach, olives, nuts, cumin, garlic, etc.
    • w/wo cheese
    • w/wo tomato sauce
  3. BBQ'd squash, yams, etc.
  4. Corn on the cob
  5. Veggie Kabobs
  6. Fruit Kabobs

Last edited by a moderator:
a vegetarian lasagna in an earthenware dish, I make em, freeze em and keep them frozen until I get one of these so called, vegan mavericks and I oil the earthenware and plop the lasangne in and smoke. Usually, after all the smokin is done my chickens are on so the smoker is set pretty high. High enough for these and little calzones.

Could also do:
  • Vegetarian mousaka
  • Baba Ganoush (w grilled eggplants)
  • Vegetarian chili

As mentioned above, some vegan-types prefer their food not cooked at the same time as meat, nor on the same surface/appliance. Whatever you cook, you may want to do in the oven. Your other option is to cook the meatless stuff first, but after cleaning the grill.

must be the spouses side of the family??
:icon_clown

Tell them it's a carnivore party and that a live pig will be sacrificed. Guests will be required to bite the liver and drink the blood. Problem solved.:twisted:

Back