Jalapeños...what to do with them?

TN_BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Besides making ABTs & salsa, what are some things to do with fresh jalapeños?

I planted 2 plants and we've had great weather this summer. I picked a couple dozen peppers this weekend and will have another dozen or so later this week.

For some reason they aren't as large as the ones you see in the store, so it'll be a little more challenging to make ABTs (it's still gonna happen, though).

Any ideas?

We have 4 jalapeno plants & 3 cayenne plants. Store bought green beans,habaneros. Add in some vinegar,water,garlic,sprig of rosemary or oregano and presto ... Pickeled Martini Stirrers!!

If you want to can, these or anything else for that matter, get the Ball "Blue Book".

Eat em! Finely diced they make a fine addition to eggs, casseroles, stuffed inside fatties, sprinkled lightly over a salad. Be creative, Japs are a great addition to many things!

chop up a few (depending on your desire of heat level) and add to some light kayro syrup in a medium sauce pan - bring to a boil, reduce temp and simmer for ten minutes (or so). Take a grill piece of chicken (I usually use boneless, skinless breasts for this) and dip the chicken in the syrup - nice and tasty - sweet and spicy and so good!

Make chile vodka! Add a couple of peppers into your favorite potato juice.

For something a little different, soften some cream cheese, mix in some dried cranberries, stuff 'em, cap with bacon, and roast on a chile pepper grill.
Yum.

Almost forgot; clean out the seeds and ribs first.

Gonna do the ABT thing, but was wondering if any other "must make" recipes were out there.

Cut in down the middle, length not width. Add a large shrimp, cream cheese mixed with cooked bacon, salsa verde and co-jack cheese, wrap with prosciutto and grill until done!

To make your peppers larger cut off 1/2 or more of the buds when they begin to form. This will cause the rest of the peppers to become larger. I don't know if they will become as large as the TAMs that you find at the grocery store but they will be larger than what you have now.

BTW - TAM = Texas A&M where they bred it to be a large mild Jalepeno.

Oh yea, pickle them with sliced carrots to eat throughout the year!

Make chile vodka! Add a couple of peppers into your favorite potato juice.

Where you getting potato juice? Liquor store around here don't seem to carry that kind.

ZILLA...pinching the buds is good advice. I've read that many times before, I just get a little lazy. I've also never had much success growing them and hate to pinch em fearing i won't have any make it to maturity.

Back