Pastrami - St. Patty's Day is Sunday

otterpop

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, with all the corned beef brisket on sale in the market right now, we picked up a couple flats and a point. Going to boil one flat for the classic Irish meal on Sunday, but also will be smoking pastrami with the other 2.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Is the point better than the flat, or vice versa, or is there a difference?
2. What slicer are you guys using to get pastrami cut super thin like in the deli?

Thanks!

The flat is leaner, the point is fattier. The point will probably have more flavor, but I prefer the flat.

I use a meat slicer. Slice it when it is chilled and you can get it very thin.

If making pastrami I always prefer the point. If you are just boiling corned beef then you would want the leaner flat

Ok thanks!
So the flat is leaner, point is fattier.
Any recommendations on a good slicer for occasional home use, without breaking the bank on a commercial model?

Ok thanks!
Any recommendations on a good slicer for occasional home use, without breaking the bank on a commercial model?
I just spent the money ($150) on a nice 14" Wusthof slicing knife. I can get it pretty darn thin. You can certainly buy a decent knife for a lot less...

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

Ok thanks!

Keep this in mind just in case you don't like the points you purchased.... 2/3 of beef selected for corning is somewhat irregular, maybe a slight mis-cut or heavier in fat, or an unusual taper. In addition, this time of the year producers ramp up their corned beef production, so what might get ground in August might get corned in January and February. Also, if you see a new name brand, like Fred and Barney's Corned Beef, on sale.... chances are they started with cheaper cuts, and these may be very fatty. Every year I see posts from folks that are really disappointed in the "on sale" corned beef products.

What I'm getting at is this.... if you stick to a name brand you generally get better quality.. Also you know what their brine is like, so it makes it easier to determine the soaking time you like best. For years my favorite brand is Grobbels from Sam's club. they have been in business for 100+ years. The packages marked flat often have a section of point on them, the trimming is good and the thickness is very uniform. Their points are good size and are not loaded with kernels of fat you have to cut out. Unfortunately, they don't go on sale. Other name brands we know (and that are around all year long) do go on sale, some before and after this weekend.

As far as slicers go, take a look at Victorinox Forschner Granton Edge Wide Slicing Knife. I think mine is 12" or 14". These are a great value and you can find them on sale for around $60 online.

Keep this in mind just in case you don't like the points you purchased.... 2/3 of beef selected for corning is somewhat irregular, maybe a slight mis-cut or heavier in fat, or an unusual taper. In addition, this time of the year producers ramp up their corned beef production, so what might get ground in August might get corned in January and February. Also, if you see a new name brand, like Fred and Barney's Corned Beef, on sale.... chances are they started with cheaper cuts, and these may be very fatty. Every year I see posts from folks that are really disappointed in the "on sale" corned beef products.

What I'm getting at is this.... if you stick to a name brand you generally get better quality.. Also you know what their brine is like, so it makes it easier to determine the soaking time you like best. For years my favorite brand is Grobbels from Sam's club. they have been in business for 100+ years. The packages marked flat often have a section of point on them, the trimming is good and the thickness is very uniform. Their points are good size and are not loaded with kernels of fat you have to cut out. Unfortunately, they don't go on sale. Other name brands we know (and that are around all year long) do go on sale, some before and after this weekend.

As far as slicers go, take a look at Victorinox Forschner Granton Edge Wide Slicing Knife. I think mine is 12" or 14". These are a great value and you can find them on sale for around $60 online.

+ 1 on Grobbels. Those are my favorite as well.

Make sure you check the Grocery next week though. They will have Corned Beef they didn't sell on sale towards the end of the week after St Patty's day. Mine right now has Vienna Beef corned beef that I expect to see on sale by Wednesday or Thursday.

Corned Beef

I am a little concerned as my wife bought a Schnuck's store brand corned beef flat and it is rinsed and in the fridge soaking. Just in case, I have a babyback back-up plan!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 39
Back