Chicken Scores

T

The Pickled Pig

I admit the chicken pictured below wasn't great but what did Judge 4 see that repulsed him? Was it too shiny?

Judge 1 - 877
Judge 2 - 988
Judge 3 - 888
Judge 4 - 544
Judge 5 - 999
Judge 6 - 988

chicken.jpg

Ah... the mysteries of judging... never fails to amaze.

Looks like your scores overall were right there.

To be honest though, from the picture I would have probably leaned toward 7 in appearance. Nothing bad, but nothing stood out to me as "WOW".

Nice job on the parsely bed. nicely done.

I too would have given this a 7. They look charred in places, and not uniform in size. This could have been tempered if they were facing the same direction. Maybe not as noticable anyway.

I think you got a judge that didn't like the looks of it and scored you down all over. This is where the table captain should have stepped up and talked with the judge.

Ahh judges. It alway amazes me that they look at it and say it looks below average write down a 5 then taste it and say yup it tasted like it looks. Rarely do you see someone that get a high score in apperence and then says it taste bad, or the other way around. Its almost always similar scores across the board.

Nothing bad there. I would have scored above average 7 or 8. Having said that, maybe some super anal judge didn't like the color ( I really like a darker/redder myself; but would not judge down based on the color of yours), or thought some of the little nubs on the chicken were fat, or poorly trimmed? I think the parsley bed looks good, so dont think it could have been that...

Luckily that was thrown out.

That's not a 5 in my book either. I think 7 is about right.

7 sounds right. maybe he/she thought some of the sauce looked "splotchy". no way it was a 5. maybe if they didn't look at it very well, they may have thought it was charred. don't know. could just have been a crappy judge. :(

I too would have given this a 7. They look charred in places, and not uniform in size. This could have been tempered if they were facing the same direction. Maybe not as noticable anyway.

I think you got a judge that didn't like the looks of it and scored you down all over. This is where the table captain should have stepped up and talked with the judge.

Even tho the score was tossed, this is where a captain should have stepped and said something, table captain's not doing their job again if you ask me!
How the fark do you allow a 4 when everyone else scored 8 and 9?? :confused:

As a cbj, I would have to say that a 5 is totally out of line. I would probably give a 7.

7 or maybe 6 for average.

What did judge 4 see - who knows. Maybe 4 didn't like thighs and scored all the boxes low. The parsley bed is great so don't change that. I agree with all the comments on trimming and uniform size. As a general rule of thumb about half the thigh ends up on the cutting room floor. I boil up mine for dog treats and stock.

I really think you have a bunch of old school judges at this contest in KS/MO and that's why so many 9-8. A box like this in the old system would score all 9-8's. I'd be asking the KCBSto instruct these judges if they supplied their CBJ #'s.

[/color]How the fark do you allow a 4 when everyone else scored 8 and 9?? :confused:
4 for taste and tenderness is an easy answer. One piece was tough. Could have been over/under cooked. Could have been real dry. With the other meats we can sample our entry but all we can do is test an entire peices and pieces are not all created equal.

And maybe that judge hates thighs and gave everybody a 4 that turned thighs. Or maybe that judge hates heat in the sauce or wants heat. As cooks we do the best we can and what happens, happens. Judging is purely at the whim of the tastes of the individual tasting the meat.

Now I do agree that the rep should talk with this judge but the score stands in any event.

Like Ford said, based on appearance I see a 6 or 7. Nothing below average. The size of the different pieces is what caught my eye, other than that I like the reddish color, and I like the small char on it. But then again I was not judging and every judge has their own taste.

Paul, I would give you a solid 8. If I could make a suggestion for next time, trim the thighs so they all are about the same size.

With the new scoring system that takes place as of March 1st(see below), on appearence, which is all I can comment on, I would give it a 6.

9 – Excellent
8 – Very Good
7 – Above Average
6 – Average
5 – Below Average
4 – Poor
3 – Bad
2 – Inedible
1 – Disqualified

Thanks for all of the feedback. This chicken was not going to be a winner regardless of what side of the bed judge 4 got up on. We knew it when it went in the box. The pieces were not trimmed properly and were not uniform in shape or size, the skin was too chewy, and the meat was a little tough. I wasn't really disappointed with the scores, just curious as to what Judge 4 saw that caused the exceptionally low score. It's possible he got a bad piece of chicken but I think it's more likely he let whatever bothered him about the appearance carry over to the other criteria.

chiming in a bit late but...
we went through the same thing then noticed appearance scores became better and more consistent when we started trimming our thighs so they looked uniform..
also agree that little char marks turn some judges off..not sure why..
BTW ..a 5 for this is ridiculous ..lowest should have been 6 IMO

I was DAL at the Winter Burn Bill. With a score of 125. My standard method for doing chicken which has scored in the top 10 of the Royal. Sometimes it's the judges... As when I looked at my scores from the contest, you could see that one table scored a lot lower than the others...

ive seen and eaten your chicken before Scottie..its definately not DAL

Ah, the joys of comp cooking Bill...

the worst part was it was "on" that day too.... :cool:

Scottie

Back