Roasting Hot Peppers

b.buteyn

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
I have a bumper crop of hot peppers Habanera & Serrano. I am considering roasting them in my Bandera. I have seen peppers being fire roasted on tv.

Since these are very hot peppers, do I risk the peppers contaminating the grill for future smoking? A fiery hot turkey would be a dissapointment on thanksgiving.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Wow, brother B, you are a real post pumper, huh?

Seriously, in my opinion, you have nothing to worry about.. I would not hesitate to roast the peppers. If you do have concerns, just do a re-seasoning burn in the bandera afterwards, and you will be starting fresh.

I roast my poblanos, Anaheim, Pueblo, Big Jims and bells. We use the serranos fresh or freeze them. What am I missing?? Should I be roasting some???

whattaya do with em? Home made chipolte sauce, salsa, chile powder, rubs, Christmas gifts.

That's assuming you've completely dried them. If they aren't completely dried, uses are more limited.

As for the larger peppers like Anaheims & Poblano's, it's hard to beat a filleted pepper on a burger. Just roast over flame until they blister then throw them in a plastic bag so they steam for awhile and cool down. Then skin them and deseed/devein them. They can also be frozen like that if seperated by wax paper.

Fin,
24-36 hours in the UDS at 180 deg should do it. From my research, you need to clean the smoker first to get rid of any meat residue before smoking the peppers.

Back